How far from land before your offshore vs coastal sailing?

Cariadco

Visit site
Not according to my insurers who say 12 miles.
Fair Point. Dunno where I got 60 from......and can't find it anywhere...!
According to the World Sailing Regs, and I quote below, Cat 3 and 4 are Inshore, but no mention of Distance from shore.
I do the Brindisi to Corfu Regatta, every year, which is a Cat 3 race and the furthest we are from land is about 35nms.

2.01.1 Category 0 Trans-oceanic races, including races which pass through areas in which air or sea temperatures are likely to be less than 5°C (41°F) other than temporarily, where boats must be completely self-sufficient for very extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance
2.01.2 Category 1 Races of long distance and well offshore, where boats must be completely self sufficient for extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance
2.01.3 Category 2 Races of extended duration along or not far removed from shorelines or in large unprotected bays or lakes, where a high degree of self-sufficiency is required of the boats
2.01.4 Category 3 Races across open water, most of which is relatively protected or close to shorelines.
2.01.5 Category 4 Short races, close to shore in relatively warm or protected waters normally held in daylight.
Regards.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Don't know anything about racings regs. but changed our insurance from offshore to coastal last year and discussed crossing Bay of Cadiz which turned out not a problem as 12 miles is from headlands when crossing a bay.

As the Isle of Man isn't in either UK or GB, UK coastal waters policy most likely doesn't cover, as ours didn't many years ago. Wonder if OP has asked his insurers yet?

Davy_S

Visit site
The 60 miles from land is usually quoted on charter fishing boat licences, they quote that they can fish up to 60 miles from a safe harbour, MCA coding.
perhaps you spotted it whilst searching for something, just a thought.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
According to the World Sailing Regs, and I quote below, Cat 3 and 4 are Inshore, but no mention of Distance from shore.
I do the Brindisi to Corfu Regatta, every year, which is a Cat 3 race and the furthest we are from land is about 35nms.

2.01.1 Category 0 Trans-oceanic races, including races which pass through areas in which air or sea temperatures are likely to be less than 5°C (41°F) other than temporarily, where boats must be completely self-sufficient for very extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance
2.01.2 Category 1 Races of long distance and well offshore, where boats must be completely self sufficient for extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance
2.01.3 Category 2 Races of extended duration along or not far removed from shorelines or in large unprotected bays or lakes, where a high degree of self-sufficiency is required of the boats
2.01.4 Category 3 Races across open water, most of which is relatively protected or close to shorelines.
2.01.5 Category 4 Short races, close to shore in relatively warm or protected waters normally held in daylight.
Regards.
Have a look at post#6. It Offshore, or Coastal) is a social construct and its meaning depends on who is writing the definition and to an extent the purpose.

DownWest

Visit site
Both my little boats are cat C, so I am limited (in theory..) to 6 NM from a safe haven. The Kelt I seem to have aquired is B so 60 NM. But how that would be policed would only be apparent if they had to fish me out of a situation.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
You can sail right through the wind farms unless there's construction work. Leaving from Piel gives you more tidal options, but otherwise just go straight.

Each wind farm pylon has a reference on it, so you cannot get lost. See the kingfisher site for details of restrictions etc..

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
Don't know anything about racings regs. but changed our insurance from offshore to coastal last year and discussed crossing Bay of Cadiz which turned out not a problem as 12 miles is from headlands when crossing a bay.

As the Isle of Man isn't in either UK or GB, UK coastal waters policy most likely doesn't cover, as ours didn't many years ago. Wonder if OP has asked his insurers yet?
I asked my Insurer and they said that yes I'm covered.

The word specifically on my insurance is as follows:

"Inland And Coastal Waters Of The United Kingdom Eire And Continental Waters Between River Elbe And LaRochelle Plus Inland Continental Waters Of Europe Not South Of 46 Degrees North Not North Of 55 Degrees North And Not East Of 10 Degrees East"

This covers me for way more then I need at the moment. In 2026 I'm planning on doing a circumnavigation of the UK but will be updating my insurance before that. I struggled to get my current insurance as I had no prior experience before purchasing the boat, and most insurers want at least 1 year of experience.

Last edited:

MADRIGAL

Visit site
The point of all this is that navigation can be as much fun as sailing the boat & it gives one confidence of where one is. I regularly sail between Lowestoft & the Channel Islands with very little use of the chart plotter, only having it on for the AIS function & in shipping areas.
Brilliant. There are few better feelings than making a landfall where you expect to be, and you will that much better off when your GPS suddenly says "No speed, No position" as mine did last season.