How do you tack a lateen?

TiggerToo

Visit site
Has anyone ever sailed a lateen-rigged boat? Or has anyone lookead at them carefully enough to know how they are tacked? I can imagine how you would jibe, but not how they get their nose through the wind. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Poignard

Visit site
I read this somewhere and, as far as I can remember, they take the yard down and rehoist it on the other side of the mast.

The only books I've read about dhows are "The Sinbad Voyage" by Tim Severin and "Sons of Sinbad" by Alan Villiers so I probably got it from one of those two. "Sons of Sinbad" has just been re-printed, by the way.

charles_reed

Visit site
If you look in

"Practical Junk Rig", it tells you that you drop the sail and re-hoist it on the other side.

Whilst that sounds a major task I am assured that it's "no problem".

However junk-rig enthusiasts are always equated in my mind with sandal wearers and tree-huggers as being a trifle over-enthusiastic about their subject.

G

Re: If you look in

[ QUOTE ]
"Practical Junk Rig", it tells you that you drop the sail and re-hoist it on the other side.

Whilst that sounds a major task I am assured that it's "no problem".

However junk-rig enthusiasts are always equated in my mind with sandal wearers and tree-huggers as being a trifle over-enthusiastic about their subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has a junk sail got to do with a lateen sail??? They bear no relationship to each other, also I might say, if I wasn't more of a gentleman, that you are talking out of your bottom! Which I will admit, as far as I have read your posts on these fora seems a little bit out of character?

I suppose you could say that I am enthusiastic about the Junk Rig, but I am about as far away from Tree Huggers, and Sandal Wearers as you can get! Neither by the way, do I trot about in a 2CV, or have a nice little basket to do my shopping in! If as you say, Junk Rig enthusiasts seem a little over enthusiastic, it is probably a bit of over compensation from having to listen to the absolute drivel expounded by people who know naff all about it.

jeanne

Visit site
I sailed on lateen rigged boat on the Nile at Aswan this year, and they just tacked. The sail must have been less efficient, but it still went to windward. It is an unusual sail for a lateen though, with the spar nearly vertical.
The ocean going ones ones I remember from a year in Bahrein in the sixties had such large spars that there was no chance of them lowering them moving the spar and sail, and rehoisting them. They did not even lower them in port, the spar stayed up, and the smallest crew members climbed the rig and furled the sail aloft. They were usually twin masted, so it is possible that one sail was always on the right side.

Stocky_Helm

www.sverigeturism.se
They tack, th esail doesn't
800px-Inhambane-dhow.JPG

TiggerToo

Visit site
what do they say: "one picture a thousand words".
many thanks to those who answered /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marinesune

Visit site
I sailed on lateen rigged boat on the Nile at Aswan this year, and they just tacked. The sail must have been less efficient, but it still went to windward. It is an unusual sail for a lateen though, with the spar nearly vertical.
The ocean going ones ones I remember from a year in Bahrein in the sixties had such large spars that there was no chance of them lowering them moving the spar and sail, and rehoisting them. They did not even lower them in port, the spar stayed up, and the smallest crew members climbed the rig and furled the sail aloft. They were usually twin masted, so it is possible that one sail was always on the right side.

Yngmar

Visit site
Yup, you just tack. I've learnt to sail on a lateen rig (Snark Sunflower - tiny but fun). It makes less of a difference than you'd expect!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We sailed the Caravel Boa Esperança out of Lagos, Portugal with twelve crews from other other cruising boats. The Caravel was the boat Portuguese explorers used, a lateen rigged schooner. The skipper organised the crew as women on the starboard side and men on the port side. We did tack the boat with no problems. What I found strange was the Portuguese were sailing boats that go upwind well but the Brits etc were sailing square riggers that don't. Madness. Boa Esperanza in English means hope or expectation.