How do you cut sound insulation neatly

BruceK

Visit site
DIY going wrong here.

Replacing my engine hatch sound proofing. Started cutting the first foam panel and made a complete hash of it. Stanley blade too short and also tears the closed cell foam. Scalpel blades too flexible and dont make a straight cut. Insulation cutting knife causes the rubber? plastic? polymeric layer to tear unevenly. Gave up in disgust before I ruined another sheet.

What did you use to make a clean cut?

801434_4.jpg

https://www.asap-supplies.com/sound...nsulation-and-noise-deadening-products-801434

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
I used a serrated bread knife on exactly the same material. Mark it up and cut holding knife at right angles to sheet.
I found the foil tended to de-laminate and had to be re-stuck.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
If you use a knife then you must make many shallow cuts.
Or score the foil then use a wood saw (combined rip and cross cut), ok it makes a bit of a mess (on the floor) but does the job.

BruceK

Visit site
Thanks guys. I dont have a bandsaw but that does sound like it will do the trick. I'll add the Admirals' electric carving knife to the tool bag when she's not looking and try that to

buy a flybridge

You dont give up do you? :p No, I dont want your boat. I'm sure somebody will love it, just not me :encouragement:

Seastoke

Visit site
Thanks guys. I dont have a bandsaw but that does sound like it will do the trick. I'll add the Admirals' electric carving knife to the tool bag when she's not looking and try that to

You dont give up do you? :p No, I dont want your boat. I'm sure somebody will love it, just not me :encouragement:
eerm excuse me but she has to go to a good home .

prv

Visit site
I believe I just used a knife, the type with a snap-off segmented blade, extended far enough to reach through the whole depth. Pulling it with the blade at a shallow angle instead of vertical helped it cut cleanly rather than tear.

That said, the aluminium tape over the joints, corners, and edges will cover a degree of roughness - certainly you don’t want to be leaving these areas unfinished.

Pete

penberth3

Visit site
I've just done this myself with exactly the same stuff from ASAP. Used an electric jigsaw and worked perfectly.

Might not be easy to find, but you can get knife blades for jig saws.

For thicker foam, upholsterers use a special type of cutter, something between a jig saw and an electric carving knife which cuts 100mm or more. Certainly too expensive for a few odd jobs.