How do you change the oil on a Volvo Penta 2003?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
How do you change the oil on a Volvo Penta 2003?

Do you use a pump down the dipstick to suck to oil up?

Also use a vacuum pump, but mine is a Seago Vacuum Pump but with a 10mm (I think that is the size, but could have been 8mm - anyway, the biggest size that would go down the dipstick tube) copper tube to go to the bottom of the sump, instead of the polythene tube (that bends). I cut a V slot in the bottom of the copper tube so it could sit on the bottom of the sump.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Get the engine hot first (dont forget run it in gear) then the oil is nice and thin and will draw out easier.

Martin_J

Visit site
I still use a manual pump to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole on an MD2040 and it only takes a few minutes... Tip is to clean it out after use.. leaving used oil in it damages the seals...

(Since then I found there is a specific tube lower down on the side of the engine that is designed for the purpose of removing oil. A suction pump fixed to the top of this tube will then extract all the oil... No suction pipes to be inserted at all. Not sure if this is the case on the 2003 though, sorry).

Martin_J

Visit site
Last edited:

confluenc

Visit site
removing oil

(Since then I found there is a specific tube lower down on the side of the engine that is designed for the purpose of removing oil. A suction pump fixed to the top of this tube will then extract all the oil... No suction pipes to be inserted at all. Not sure if this is the case on the 2003 though, sorry).[/QUOTE]

Hi Martin,
I have a question concerning the draining of oil in MD 2030 C :
I found this specific tube lower on the side of the engine, under the dipstick .
In my boat this is in a very unconfortable location, very difficult to be reached by my hand... anyway I found a black plug closing this tube. Is this plug screwed in the tube? or it is just pushed in ?

If I'm not wrong, this plug should be the REF. 19 Part No. 1276516 Plug, as described in Volvo Lubricating System scheme

Martin_J

Visit site
The 1276516 plug is just a thick rubber cap that is just pushed on. If it has never been removed then it will probably be sprayed with green paint (like the rest of the engine).

Volvo do sell them for about £1 each... so maybe worthwhile getting a few whilst you're buying the oil/filters.

Blue5

Visit site

confluenc

Visit site
I do it, thank you
So this plug is just pushed on, it is not screwed..... But there is no oil pressure inside this pipe? No risk to loose oil from it?