How big is a liferaft

Tranona

Visit site
Don't know that particular model, but the 4 man rafts reviewed in this months PBO were all around 1650mm*1650mm inflated.

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
I'm afraid thats not actually the case.

The standard is that if one of the two tubes burst the other could still support the crew. This is i think the cause of your confusion.

This does NOT mean a 4 man raft can support 8 people when both tubes are inflated as in fact there WILL NOT be enough space.

prv

Visit site
The standard is that if one of the two tubes burst the other could still support the crew. This is i think the cause of your confusion.

As far as I know, most budget leisure rafts do not claim compliance with any particular standard in the first place. This was the main reason I disputed Forelle's post - even if a standard somewhere did stipulate a 100% overload capacity (some aviation standards do require 50%), the rafts that many of us carry do not need to meet that standard.

Pete

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
As far as I know, most budget leisure rafts do not claim compliance with any particular standard in the first place. This was the main reason I disputed Forelle's post - even if a standard somewhere did stipulate a 100% overload capacity (some aviation standards do require 50%), the rafts that many of us carry do not need to meet that standard.

Pete

Pete

SOLAS, ISAF and ISO rafts all use this particular standard. I'm pretty sure Ocean Safety (original OP) don't make any "budget life rafts" that don't fall into one or more of these categories. The days of un certified rafts that are not built to any recognised standard are I believe pretty much over.

prv

Visit site
SOLAS, ISAF and ISO rafts all use this particular standard. I'm pretty sure Ocean Safety (original OP) don't make any "budget life rafts" that don't fall into one or more of these categories. The days of un certified rafts that are not built to any recognised standard are I believe pretty much over.

Looks like you're right about Ocean Safety - all their current offerings are described as ISO.

The recent PBO raft test did say the same - many leisure rafts are not to any standard - although we all know how slapdash they can be with factual information so I'm not claiming that as proof.

I was thinking in particular of the Seago raft that we have - this one: http://www.seagoyachting.co.uk/offshore-raft-p-9.html - which I think is quite a common choice. Maybe it is the last of the non-standardised ones...

Pete

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Anyone know the diameter of a fully INFLATED Ocean safety 4 man liferaft please?
Thx

If you need to use it, you won't care.

No matter how big or small, it will be wet, uncomfortable, strangely quiet and definately vomit provoking.

It might however save your life.

Then again you've probably got more chance of winning the lottery than having to use one in anger. :)

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We had an Avon Modula liferaft and the spec is, including space per person:
Proven CO2 firing mechanism
• Buoyancy of 3.4 cu.ft and floor area
of 4 sq. ft per person conform to
IMO SOLAS (Safety Of Life at Sea)
requirements
• Double floor standard
• Self erecting canopy for immediate
protection
• Stabilising water pockets