House Insurance

rr_123

Visit site
Can any of you riparians recommend a good insurer? After being turned over by Churchill when I moved here last spring (got a quote from their website, based primarily on postcode, they refused to honour, or indeed offer any cover at all, when I went to take up their offer on the day before completing the sale of two houses and the purchase of one because I am in a flood plain -well durrrrr, a quick check with the EA webservice can tell you that; thanks guys)

Having about 2 hours to find an insurer (mandatory as i have a mortgage), I managed to find one bandit who charged me an arm and a leg because I am in flood plain, but won't cover me for flood. Pragmatically I am prepared to shoulder the risk of flood to live here, i know the risks and will accept them, but would expect a commensurately inexpensive policy!

so this year am going to try and sort it out with time on my side, would appreciate any personal recommendations as the mainstream seem to work like Churchill and you have to go through all the forms, get a quote, call, and be told to bog off /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pheran

Visit site
Based on recent personal experience, I wouldn't touch AXA with a barge-pole. The real problem is you never know how good or bad these people are until you have to make a claim.

No Regrets

Visit site
Have you tried....wait for it.....

Navigators and General..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry....I'll go away now /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Gavi

Visit site
We're with Halifax. Oddly, the CI home is cheaper to insure than our Victorian semi in SW London.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Who insures next door? They are in the same, er, boat, as you. I ask because we had a similar issue, for some reason Abbey's insurers reckon we are in a flood risk area (on the 50m contour line? Panic now you riparians) but Halifax, who do next door, use a different list from a different insurance co.

Gavi

Visit site
That's interesting as we are just upstream of rr_123 and have had no problems with Halifax - so far!

PlanB

Visit site
Why not try the non-marine side of Bishop Skinner? They were very flexible when I had a non-standard situation.