hour meter connections?

Matata

Visit site
I'm sitting on my boat as i write this, lovely day in north Wales by the way, fitting an hour meter to a Beta ABV power switch panel. The power switch feed comes from terminal AC on the key switch, I just need an earth/negative. any suggestions? Anyone familiar with this switch? The remaining terminals are Brown /white terminal 30, White /red terminal 17, Red 19 and nothing on terminal 50. Or do I go looking else where with my multimeter? Ta as ever and ps Ireland will win the rugby today Nik

earlybird

Visit site
Black is the norm.for earth connections and Beta adhere to this convention AFAIK.
Is there a black to one side of the charge lamp? If so, that will do.
There is no negative connected to the switch.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Black is the norm.for earth connections and Beta adhere to this convention AFAIK.
Is there a black to one side of the charge lamp? If so, that will do.
There is no negative connected to the switch.
I am notsure that charge indicator lamps have one side as negative very often. The charge light is often has a switched positive on one side and the other connected to the alternator. The old Lucas 17ACR alternators needed the charge light to be connected to energise the alternator. Not sure that some more modern alternators are that different.

earlybird

Visit site
I am notsure that charge indicator lamps have one side as negative very often. The charge light is often has a switched positive on one side and the other connected to the alternator. The old Lucas 17ACR alternators needed the charge light to be connected to energise the alternator. Not sure that some more modern alternators are that different.

I am going by the panel diagram in my Beta manual. The warning lights seem to be shown to be connected by means of a small "black box" with several unidentified terminals, so it isn't entirely straightforward, but there is also a "black" to the lamp, shown going back to a starter mounting bolt
My engine doesn't have the standard Beta panel, so I can't vouch from direct investigation.

VicS

Visit site
As Earlybird says the negative is a 1 mm black wire ( no tracer, just plain black) It comes in from pin 10 of the 11 pin connector and is connected to a couple of connections on the back of the tacho and to the extreme RH (green) indicator lamp. That's the power on light)

There is no negative connection to the charge warning light(s) and no negative connection on the switch.

Look at the wiring diagrams in the owners manual!

Last edited:

earlybird

Visit site
to the extreme RH indicator lamp.(that's just a power on light ?)

There is no negative connection to the charge warning light

Agreed, I was too hasty , the bolt of lightening symbol is power on, not charge. But the black wire could still be used for the OP's purpose.