houdini hatches

seumask

Visit site
Search on this forum reveals quite lot on this hatch and its issues, you can get new rubber seals, but need to check its not the seal holding the glass in. Having battled with one mself and fixed it several times including a new main seal I'm now much happier with the Gebo hatch replacement I put in knowing it is likly to last much longer than a fix to the Houdini.

colvic987

Visit site
Give houdini a call they would be the best people to ask, failing that the gebo hatch is a direct replacement, it worked for us, and gives it a more modern look to the boat...

boatingworld2004

Visit site
hatch measuring

Hi guys

I have the same leaking hatch issue! been looking at the options and the gebo looks good. I have measured the hatch a few times in different places and never got to 50x50 but close. Without removing the hatch how do you tell the size? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Cheers

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
LOL LOL, every time I hear things like this I laugh. Houdini hatches must be about the WORST hatches ever made. Take a new one and pour water on it, amazing - the hatch itself holds the water in a beautiful big pool. Now if that isn't bad design I don't know what is. Secondly, look at the seal, it holds water so if you open the hatch you not only get the water running off the glass where it pools, it collects around the edge and is just waiting to soak you if you dare to open it, but it will just annoy you anyway with its constant dripping.

I'd recommend getting your money back, if you can, and getting some other brand, we've fitted gebo and lewmar and they work. I'm not sure but if you can get a double glazed one that will prevent condensation forming.

Mark
www.boatdoctorni.com

Dan the man

Visit site
I have just resolved this problem with the same hatch.

I spoke to a hatch restorer who said that you can put a new seal inbetween the opening part and the deck plate, but it is not possible to replace the seal round the glass due tot he way it is made.

I got a new one. Check out mailspeed marine, I got mine locally, but mailspeed have them under 200 pounds.

I am very pleased with my new hatch, it even comes with locks on the handles, an improvment on the old type.

They are very good units, but I would have got a lewmar if I wasnt constrained by the deck moulded aperture.

cimo

Visit site
they leak from new.

one of the many reasons to carry duck tape :D.

I like their ruggedness - takes my full weight.
Must say mine doesn't noticably leak (origional from 30years I'm pretty sure), its the drips I get when I open it that can sometimes annoy.

CliveG

Visit site
Hi guys

I have the same leaking hatch issue! been looking at the options and the gebo looks good. I have measured the hatch a few times in different places and never got to 50x50 but close. Without removing the hatch how do you tell the size? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Cheers

I can assure you that the Gebo hatch that is designed as a replacement is just that.
It fits the houdini hatch aperture perfectly.
I changed ours in a couple of hours the year before last and have not had a leak though it since.
(The boat sank a few weeks later but that was nothing to do with the hatch):eek: