Hot water options for Saxdor 320 GTC

Juzzer

Visit site
I have a Saxdor 320 GTC arriving soon. The boat as standard doesn’t have hot water and I would like it for the outside shower and sinks. Wondered if it is best to go for an electric water heater or diesel heater? ( it has a diesel tank for the interior heating) Also I want to keep the boat in the water year round. Does anyone have experience of happyhulls on this size of boat?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It’s an outboard boat. I’d go for the diesel option, not dependant on shore power so you could have unlimited* hot water at an anchorage / swimming spot. If you want to go electric then you might also want to consider installing a generator. Finding space for it, and the associated plumbing for cooling etc, might be difficult in that boat.

* subject to having enough diesel…!

Last edited:

Juzzer

Visit site
It’s an outboard boat. I’d go for the diesel option, not dependant on shore power so you could have unlimited* hot water at an anchorage / swimming spot. If you want to go electric then you might also want to consider installing a generator. Finding space for it, and the associated plumbing for cooling etc, might be difficult in that boat.

* subject to having enough diesel…!
Thanks SF that was my gut feeling as I don’t have room for a genset and the drain on the battery would be pretty large.

Momac

Visit site
I would have thought a calorifier heated by shore power and also via a diesel heater would be possible giving flexibility on the energy source .
Is there not a galley and a cabin with a heads compartment on this boat? It seems odd that hot water is not included as standard .

Martxer

Visit site
Why not keep it dead simple. Just a calorifier with element for shore power heating only. It will surely stay hot enough to shower at anchor during the day especially if you set it nice and hot.
Im assuming you have cold water supply
You could also add something like a Clayton power unit. You can plug your shore power lead into that for off grip use.
Clayton Power - Power Systems and Solutions
No connection by the way just something I came across.

rafiki_

Visit site
I have a Saxdor 320 GTC arriving soon. The boat as standard doesn’t have hot water and I would like it for the outside shower and sinks. Wondered if it is best to go for an electric water heater or diesel heater? ( it has a diesel tank for the interior heating) Also I want to keep the boat in the water year round. Does anyone have experience of happyhulls on this size of boat?
Have you discussed this with Ideal Boats, the importers? They have some good folk there who I’m sure will assist.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
Just curious to know if you found a solution as am thinking of doing the same?

Juzzer

Visit site
Just curious to know if you found a solution as am thinking of doing the same?
After looking at all the options we’ve gone for a 22ltr calorifier which we can “charge up” with shore power and will be fine for an overnight stay onboard. It gives us extra water capacity too as the 100ltr freshwater tank once you have showers loos and washbasins being used is a bonus reserve. Cheaper than swapping out the air only diesel heater for a combo water and air heater

Peterlewis321

Visit site
After looking at all the options we’ve gone for a 22ltr calorifier which we can “charge up” with shore power and will be fine for an overnight stay onboard. It gives us extra water capacity too as the 100ltr freshwater tank once you have showers loos and washbasins being used is a bonus reserve. Cheaper than swapping out the air only diesel heater for a combo water and air heater
Makes sense-am guessing you also need to swap out the taps and shower (for hot and cold feeds, and not just cold) as well as adding the hot water pipes. Are Ideal Boats doing all this for you?

Peterlewis321

Visit site
Surely if you're buying the boat new, how water would have been an option?

In any case, I'd find out what the factory fit and copy that.
You’d think so, but as far as I can tell so far it is not a factory option unfortunately…..bit strange!