Horrific flare accident

Woodlouse

Visit site
There was , some years ago, a company selling red balloons on a string which would help spot someone in the water. Are they still about & if so would a junkie on the shore seeing them just think someone was having a party with magic mushrooms

You'd have to be careful with them cause if ninety nine inadvertently went up at the same time it might trigger world war three.

Len Ingalls

Visit site
Looks remarkably sensible. Anything similar available in the UK/ EU?

The pistol style launcher ,IMHO,is safer than a handheld meteor as it provides some space & material between your hand & the launching projectile. One should really wear a glove with a hand held launch,but in a "panic" situation,will you be wearing one?
I have launched both-there is an appreciable kick from both-not severe,but you want a good dry grip on the hand launched,or it could blow back thru your grip. The pistol allows for a more natural,intuitive launch that is farther from your face,hands & arm,etc. Plus the shell is in the pistol,protected from the weather,easy to launch from any stance,no requirement to lean over the rail & so on. The pistol will not fire until the hammer is cocked & trigger is then pulled,so it is safe to have it loaded & in your pocket or wherever,until ready to launch.
As far as using them as a "gun",a hand held meteor flare is just as potentially lethal if some nut/criminal is intent on it.

Here is a link to Canada Boating Safety Regs the we live under-enjoy! Cheers/ Len
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

Woodlouse

Visit site
The pistol style launcher ,IMHO,is safer than a handheld meteor as it provides some space & material between your hand & the launching projectile. One should really wear a glove with a hand held launch,but in a "panic" situation,will you be wearing one?
I have launched both-there is an appreciable kick from both-not severe,but you want a good dry grip on the hand launched,or it could blow back thru your grip. The pistol allows for a more natural,intuitive launch that is farther from your face,hands & arm,etc. Plus the shell is in the pistol,protected from the weather,easy to launch from any stance,no requirement to lean over the rail & so on. The pistol will not fire until the hammer is cocked & trigger is then pulled,so it is safe to have it loaded & in your pocket or wherever,until ready to launch.
As far as using them as a "gun",a hand held meteor flare is just as potentially lethal if some nut/criminal is intent on it.

Here is a link to Canada Boating Safety Regs the we live under-enjoy! Cheers/ Len
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

Safe is a relative term with a loaded gun. If the hammer and firing pin are one component then a sharp enough knock on the hammer could set it off since uncocked the firing pin will be resting on the primer. I don't think I would leave one loaded unless I was fairly certain of needing it imminently.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
SOS does not have to be morse. It could be marked as letters on the ground

"HELP" would work just as well, though it might need more pebbles.

A flashing light sending a distress message should use ...---... but whether it does that or ... --- ... I still don't think many passers-by would recognize it.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I thought that it was & came about after the loss of the Titanic

...---... was made the standard international distress message in 1906, having been introduced in Germany the previous year. Marconi had used CQD (the letters, with spaces: CQ = general call, D = distress) since 1904, and it was still in use by British ships in 1912. The Titanic sent both signals.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My understanding is that it was first used by the Titanic. I believe a change from CQD to SOS had been agreed , and that Jack Binns (IIRC) was the first to use...

See above. ...---... had been around for seven years, and the international standard for six, when the Titanic sank. Jack Binns was the first person to use CQD, from the RMS Republic; Jack Phillips was the Titanic's radio operator and used both.

Visit site
"HELP" would work just as well, though it might need more pebbles.

A flashing light sending a distress message should use ...---... but whether it does that or ... --- ... I still don't think many passers-by would recognize it.
Sorry, really don't get this. To me SOS is dit, dit, dit, dah,dah, dah, dit,dit, dit. Yes or no?

lpdsn

Visit site
Sorry, really don't get this. To me SOS is dit, dit, dit, dah,dah, dah, dit,dit, dit. Yes or no?

JumbleDuck is making a distinction between the distress signal and SOS, which has implied gaps between the three letters.

I doubt it would make much difference in practice :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
JumbleDuck is making a distinction between the distress signal and SOS, which has implied gaps between the three letters.

I doubt it would make much difference in practice :)

Of course not - it's a minor technical point. As an academic it is my sworn and solemn duty to quibble.

SOS is a convenient way of remembering ...---... and not the only possible one.

IAMS.jpg

9113001.jpg

book3.jpg

iwb2.jpg

Last edited: