Hooray! Its the holiday

jamesjermain

Visit site
Off this afternoon for eight to ten days in North Brittany - Roscoff to pick up SWMBOs then in short hops to St Malo to drop off SWMBOs. Anyone got any 'mustn't miss' harbours and anchorages accessible to a 6.8m wide cat with lifting keels (although I prefer not to dry out on her delicate bottom!)

Visit site
Try La Chambre off Ille de Brehat - loverley cream patisserie on shore.

DON'T do the Penze River. Not only is it unattractive, it's a death trap due to lack of bouyage maintenence - can't see what Peter Cumberledge sees in the place!

Pontrieux (George Taylor's retirement retreat - how is he?) is superb and if you get there at La Fete des Lavoirs you'll be expected to play British Pirate.

Must rush - off to 3 weeks in Greece tomorrow and lots to do first.

Steve Cronin

rickp

Visit site
Les Sept Iles was delightful the other week. 6.8m is too wide for Perros Guirec - though there was a large catamaran in there and we did wonder if it had crept over the retaining wall on a high tide.

There are some lovely anchorages near Trébeurden too, around L'ile Millau.

Rick

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
JJ, good on your two hulls. I was that way in early June - nearly 20 years since I was in Treguier, 30+ since Lezardrieux. Had a great sail. Recommend the 'Hangar' restaurant right at the head of the pontoons in Treguier for seafood and re-visit the Cathedral cloisters and recall THAT speech. Have a good sail.

Aja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Roscoff to pick up SWMBOs then in short hops to St Malo to drop off SWMBOs.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many have you got? Ah! Same as me - daughters.......

Donald

claymore

Visit site
Hold On Hold On - wossis then - a brace of literarys parlaying. Charming - never a peep when we are having meaningful discussions about this months YW but sees one of his fellow scribes away on jollies and there's no stopping him.....
Harrumph.

jamesjermain

Visit site
I must have only just msised you - I was there with the Triangle (again) later in teh month. Hangar excellent. Also a place at the top of town I can't remember the name of town.

What speech!!!

Robin

Visit site
It sounds like Perros Guirec marina is out because of the beam. However there are places to anchor (just outside if you can dry out) and some waiting buoys on the join of east/west approaches where you stay afloat, there us a slip by them to go ashore. The town is very pleasant, good shops and restaurants too.

Trebeurden has some nice anchorages around it, the marina is OK but the town has little. Plomanac'h iis pretty but I think there is a max length of 12m????

Sept Isles nice anchorage in settled conditions, take a tour of the lighthouse to.

Port Blanc between Perros and Treguier for a Cat would be really good, it is like a mini Poole Harbour and a Cat could get a long way in on neaps especially, it is good on any tide and lit at night, not much in the way of facilities unless you want a sailing lesson....

Treguier for the markets and the stunning church with a gruyere tower, take a camera for the windows too from inside.

St Quay Pontrieux is better than it sounds being MDL, you could anchor outside too

Robin

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif All there is there is a hotel, a bar (that sells bread and a few vegs) and a sailing school that does lessons on everything from a kayak to a cruiser via sailboards and Hobies. I've seen a few Brit kids joining in the lessons as I think they are available by the morning or afternoon session. There was even a kayak bird watching flotilla outing available! The hotel restaurant used to do good moules frites at lunch times.

Edited PS

There are a few visitor buoys in deep water and when we've been there we were never charged but at neaps or with shallower draft you can get farther east inside and better sheltered as well as out of the tide. There can be a bit of swell inside otherwise especially if the wind is NW and at HW when rocks that were giving protection get covered for a while.

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
JJ, I volunteered to give a speech at the mayor's reception in one Triangle stopover - in Breton accented French. I had it translated then written out phonetically. I hadn't a clue what I was saying but the French seemed to appreciate it.