Hook & Moor Boat Hook?

Bouba

Visit site
How did you find this in practise? Thinking of getting one but have some concerns about the weight as you mentioned in your post. And which version (length) did you buy please?
I got the longest (which was probably a mistake as it’s also the heaviest). The mechanism is genius (and probably the reason I wanted one as I am a sucker for gadgets). It was supposed to help the wife out, but truth is she enjoys the challenge of lassoing. She found it too heavy and two awkward, and not many dock cleats are the right size. Also if you don’t use it all the time you forget how it works and that creates a whole other layer of confusion during the docking.
If it was me handling the ropes, I would probably use it. Mind you I would also walk the lines to the dock using the passerelle. But, as I said the wife prefers to lasso. So it now lives permanently in the lazaret.
Just a note, I bought it for stern too Mediterranean docking. Mooring to a buoy is almost unheard of. So you can’t necessarily take my experience as gospel

Poignard

Visit site
The big advantage to having a cheaper version is that you'll not worry so much if it does go overboard...

And I'm sure we've all seen boat hooks go overboard...
I lost a boathook but not in the usual way.

I noticed that some people had theirs stowed inside the boom and I thought that was a good idea and started doing it.

All went well until the day I carelessly allowed the mainsail to jibe violently and the boat hook was hurled out into the sea by centrifugal force.

I had failed to notice that clever people had a bit of shock cord to keep the boathook in place.:mad:

Poignard

Visit site
My new Hook & Moor arrived today. So only used it in my lounge so far, but it does appear to have a serious design flaw. I’ve always joked that Med boating is all about Old ladies with boat hooks, but it’s a fair observation and this boat hook is heavy. As in really heavy. I fear my good lady wife/crew will not like extending this out one, two let alone three meters out. Never mind controlling the tip so it hits the cleat.
Oh dear. Well, I won’t judge it until it’s been used in anger
You could always try manouvering your boat nearer the buoy :rolleyes:

Scapegoat

Visit site
Before you buy, check out the Handy Duck. Lightweight hook, lightweight floating telescopic fibreglass pole, very easy to use. I'm often singlehanded, and use my Handy Duck to pick up moorings.
Thanks for the advice. However, I really want something that doesn't need a guide line -mainly for cleats and rings as we don't moor to buoys generally as we're Thames based so do a lot of Bankside and lay-by mooring. Mostly throwing a line around bollards etc. works fine but not so useful with rings

pvb

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. However, I really want something that doesn't need a guide line -mainly for cleats and rings as we don't moor to buoys generally as we're Thames based so do a lot of Bankside and lay-by mooring. Mostly throwing a line around bollards etc. works fine but not so useful with rings

The Handy Duck doesn't have a guide line.

Bouba

Visit site
You could always try manouvering your boat nearer the buoy :rolleyes:
On a motorboat you drive slightly past the buoy then bring the stern towards it. You then walk from the helm to the cockpit, pick up the buoy (with a hook if you didn’t get close enough) put a line through it and walk the line to a bow cleat. But here, generally speaking, if you moor to a buoy you are trespassing