Honeymoon

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: june tho? and orient express

Haven't done european OE, but have done similar elsewhere. SWMBO wouldn't do it again and I agree.

First few hours fine, but after a while pretty boring. Only thing to do is look at scenery, read books, eat or errr...go to bed.....hey, this sounds better by the minute..why didn't I enjoy it?

Seriously, you have to be the sort that can sit for hours watching the scenery, and like getting all dressed up for dinner, to really enjoy it, otherwise it's just a very long train journey

tcm

Visit site
Re: Paris? and orient express

wdn't need to spend long there. It pongs most if you do the blimmin crap gondola thing and are 6ins from the water, but could have a 1 day there and then by sea to dubrovnik.

Otherwise it's Paris first. I mean, she can't argue with that eh. Where we going to honeymoon? Paris!! She can't say aww. All her mates will be dead envious and look sideways as tho you are an incredible romantic and a Top Shag.

Metabarca

Visit site
Venice

Yes, Venice is hype, hype, hype but it really is special: I go often for work and I still marvel (I also curse the pedestrian traffic jams, tho. :-/
You could always stay at the swanky Hotel des Bains on the Lido: sea view (muddy brown), but good air and just 15 mins from Venice proper by ferry. Plus you get to pass the little marina by the Salute every morning!
"trip from Italy to Croatia as nice as poss ": hmmm, sounds like a day crossing as the cabins offered on board ship are a bit cramped and stuffy. If you do opt for the day trip, go for the hydrofoil or cat, and if possible, go via the islands to final destination of Split/Dubrovnik or wherever. This adds to the scenic charm of the crossing and gives you a foretaste of your sailing. But DO CHECK: I'm not sure there is a scheduled service from Venice to Croatia.

(Venice to Ancona by train: 4.5 hours boring ride plus a change at Bologna).

If you're not into towns, then go for a fly-drive hol in Umbria - lots of charming hotels in the country and loads to see, plus you're close to Ancona for a convenient buzz across the Adriatic. IMHO

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Paris? and orient express

have to say
not being a city person even i love paris. much more than london.
Musee D'orsay is my fave could spend days there. still want to see the Rodin.

altho when i took mrs sailbad to be i nearly choked. looking at one of the Van Goghs
Mrs sailbad declares in a VERY loud voice
'oh look we had that in our kitchen.'

everyone looks snooty i am on the floor in peices . bless.

i think venice it is then. either you are all wrong. you are all right. or my mother has logged on and has a multiple personality disorder

Come on brain.get this over and i can go back to killing you with beer