Honda 2.3 carb/dismantling

jmp

Visit site
Did something stupid and put kerosine in the tank in the dark.Now faced with carb job!
Anyone familiar with the engine?
I have no workshop manual,but after some effort found a screw slot in the bottom of the carb.Unfortunately it would not unscrew! It seems there is an allen type grub screw through the side ,but i cannot seem to establish for sure what it all does or is! I also cannot see how to remove the lower plastic portion of the engine cover .There seem to be a lot of bolts which may or not be those just for the cover.There are also two large screw slot type heads holding the tank,but the slots are not cut out .how are they removed?
Any help would be much appreciated.

bobgoode

Visit site
There is a drain screw which will empty the carb bowl. This is at the rear of the bowl and is easy to access. My guess is drain and flush with petrol and things will be ok. I have removed the carb, it can be done without taking off the lower case but it is a pig to get back on. Advice is don't.

Lakesailor

Visit site
If you didn't try to start the engine yet I shouldn't think it's made it's way to the carb yet. Just tip it out of the tank and refill with petrol. Take out the plug and pull the motor over 10 or 20 times. Put the plug back in and it should start.

Lakesailor

Visit site
If you didn't try to start the engine yet I shouldn't think it's made it's way to the carb yet. Just tip it out of the tank and refill with petrol. Take out the plug and pull the motor over 10 or 20 times. Put the plug back in and it should start.

If it has made it's way through, still dump the rest in the tank and fill with fuel. squirt some lighter fluid into the air inlet and start the engine. A petrol engine will run on paraffin once it's warm so it shouldn't be too far from running.

Robin

Visit site
DON'T tip it out! This is a 4 stroke motor and you will likely get as big a problem with oil as with kerosene! Best is to siphon it out of the tank or remove the tank and pour it out.

I only know this because I had a problem with the carb on our Honda 2hp with gummed up innards from stale fuel, despite an additive to stop gumming. I was able to watch the engineer do the job for future reference and he removed the carb and cleaned it on the bench, then removed the tank to empty it. Removing the carb was easier than I thought but there were some need to know tricks concerning removing the choke and throttle connections as well as the fuel lines.

In this instance I agree it might be OK just to flush it through with fresh petrol, just not to tip it upside down to remove the wrong stuff!

Lakesailor

Visit site
There is a world of difference between leaving a 4 stroke on the "wrong" side and a quick tip to empty the small fuel tank. The oil will hardly have started to move before the tank is empty.
Still, if you are nervous of doing something damaging you can just pull the fuel pipe off the carb and drain the tank that way.

jmp

Visit site
Thanks to all contributors! Up and running again.Glad I messed up with the kerosine! Stripped the carb down trying to undo the drain plug unsuccessfully,and ending up with removal. Found lots of gunge with presumably salt water in bottom and a hole corroded through the float bowl after cleaning! the engine had been immersed after friend failed to tighten the clamps and came off under way ,resulting in a quick dunking last season.Dried off and restarted easily but must have somehow got contaminated . Same friend (plumber by trade) soldered skilfully and now fine!

Thanks again all.