Holidaymakers going to EU caught out by 10-year-passport rule

DownWest

Visit site
Well before this cerfuffle, I was traveling back to Portugal and the check in girl for BA asked where my return ticket was. Me 'This is my return ticket' . She, 'Oh, we can't lert you on the plane without a return ticket.' Me, 'Err I live there, I am going home'. After a bit more of this, I managed to get a supervisor who was a bit less of an idiot.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
All those who are complaining about their passports have obviously never been to the US or one or two other countries I could name but the US and its officials take the biscuit.
For anyone travelling from Britain to the US, it's well worth considering flying with Aer Lingus via Dublin.
You clear US customs and immigration fairly painlessly at a dedicated facility at Dublin airport, and walk straight off the aircraft at the other end.
I don't know if it's because they're working and living in Ireland, but the personnel are actually welcoming and friendly, which is far from my experience with them in the US.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I fly to the USA frequently, about 5 times a year, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta and New York, over 10 years, with an ESTA and B1. My experience has been nothing but easy and welcoming. I also have deal with the US Coastguard and other government agencies. In all cases they are welcoming, open to clarifications and helpful, as well as efficient. Recently had to apply for a different visa to the USA and again, a fast, courteous and efficient process at the London Embassy. The queue at immigration can be long, about 45 minutes maximum I have waited, post COVID, 15 minutes maximum. I think Britain could take a leaf out their book. I accept that others experience may be different.

My UK passport before 2017 has the expiry date exactly on 10 years from issue, my wives is 10 years and one month. Odd.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I fly to the USA frequently, about 5 times a year, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta and New York, over 10 years, with an ESTA and B1. My experience has been nothing but easy and welcoming. I also have deal with the US Coastguard and other government agencies. In all cases they are welcoming, open to clarifications and helpful, as well as efficient. Recently had to apply for a different visa to the USA and again, a fast, courteous and efficient process at the London Embassy. The queue at immigration can be long, about 45 minutes maximum I have waited, post COVID, 15 minutes maximum. I think Britain could take a leaf out their book. I accept that others experience may be different.

My UK passport before 2017 has the expiry date exactly on 10 years from issue, my wives is 10 years and one month. Odd.
How many wives do you have?

Alicatt

Visit site
Well before this cerfuffle, I was traveling back to Portugal and the check in girl for BA asked where my return ticket was. Me 'This is my return ticket' . She, 'Oh, we can't lert you on the plane without a return ticket.' Me, 'Err I live there, I am going home'. After a bit more of this, I managed to get a supervisor who was a bit less of an idiot.
My wife and I regularly travel on a single ticket between the eu and uk and no questions asked, last time was sept. 23 this coming trip we have returns as we have to get the grandson back by a particular date. I travel on a UK passport and my wife on a Belgian one.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I fly to the USA frequently, about 5 times a year, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta and New York, over 10 years, with an ESTA and B1. My experience has been nothing but easy and welcoming.

Since our youngest moved to the US some years ago, we visit once or twice a year.
In my experience, the smaller the airport where you land, the smoother you navigate immigration.

We've flown to Houston with stopovers in Dallas and Miama.
The scenes at immigration (for non US passport holders) could have been straight out of Schindler's List.
Clearing immigration takes the better part of two hours and the immigration officials could have come straight out of Schindler's List too.

OTOH, when we've flown to Houston (IAH) direct (an airport with far fewer international connections) we've breezed through immigration in under 15 minutes.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
For anyone travelling from Britain to the US, it's well worth considering flying with Aer Lingus via Dublin.
You clear US customs and immigration fairly painlessly at a dedicated facility at Dublin airport, and walk straight off the aircraft at the other end.
I don't know if it's because they're working and living in Ireland, but the personnel are actually welcoming and friendly, which is far from my experience with them in the US.
I understand that Edinburgh is going down this route, no date when this is starting.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I understand that Edinburgh is going down this route, no date when this is starting.
They considered applying in 2016, either didn't go forward with the application or it failed.

A 2023 article suggests any application will be two years away.
Edinburgh Airport Aiming For US Pre-Clearance In the Next Two Years

EDI is installing new security machines to scan carry on luggage without removing contents, so they are trying to improve customer throughout times and also investing inside the terminal building, again. They have increased the number of gates and have room to add more However, like Glasgow, restricted in runway capacity and cant expand, but not running at capacity. Always busy in the morning and evening, less so mid afternoon, anecdotally as a regular user.

I guess we shall see.