holding tank

prv

Visit site
Air. Don’t let the vent get clogged.

Otherwise, it doesn’t need anything added and the goal isn’t to break stuff down like a septic tank, just to hold it for a short period before discharging somewhere more appropriate.

Pete

Visit site
And based on another recent thread, I am guessing there is nothing we can do to prevent the build up of calcium ( a pee/sea reaction I think), other than manual scraping etc???

pvb

Visit site
And based on another recent thread, I am guessing there is nothing we can do to prevent the build up of calcium ( a pee/sea reaction I think), other than manual scraping etc???

You could use a fresh water flush, which is impractical for most people. Or minimise the amount of seawater used by simply pumping urine out of the bowl without flushing; we do this routinely and have had no problems with the holding tank. We flush the bowl lightly now and then with fresh water using the hand-held shower.

RupertW

Visit site
You could use a fresh water flush, which is impractical for most people. Or minimise the amount of seawater used by simply pumping urine out of the bowl without flushing; we do this routinely and have had no problems with the holding tank. We flush the bowl lightly now and then with fresh water using the hand-held shower.

Ours are about 18 years old now and very heavily used for the 10 years before we owned it. We change the pipes every 3 or 4 years as the smell eventually seeps through. Apart from the first time there was only minimal calcium build up. I put down a bottle of vinegar once or twice a year.

We tend to only have contents in for maybe 3 days at a time before we are out to sea again and flushing through plentifully.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Ours are about 18 years old now and very heavily used for the 10 years before we owned it. We change the pipes every 3 or 4 years as the smell eventually seeps through. Apart from the first time there was only minimal calcium build up. I put down a bottle of vinegar once or twice a year.

We tend to only have contents in for maybe 3 days at a time before we are out to sea again and flushing through plentifully.

To avoid the need to change the pipework so regularly, you might like to try this stuff.. https://www.asap-supplies.com/hose/sanitation-waste-hose/seaflow-butyl-sanitation-hose-38mm Costs more to purchase, but it will last longer, prevent the escape of smells and is very easy to fit being much more flexible than the "usual" pipe most people use.

Momac

Visit site
I don’t get any smell direct from the tank more from the toilet via the waste pipe when the loo is pumped. I have been using Elsan Blue which is very effective at killing odour from the loo but a bit toxic to everything living and I am bit surprised it remains available. I once tried some camping shop alternative to Elsan which was relatively weak and proved not to be good value.
Considering Odourlos in due course but will not mix it with Elsan .
An ordinary rim block on the loo helps toilet pan odour control a little.
We have fresh water flushed since shortly after first owning a boat. The shower head is on a flexible hose and we use that to put water in the pan.

pvb

Visit site
I have been using Elsan Blue which is very effective at killing odour from the loo but a bit toxic to everything living and I am bit surprised it remains available.

Elsan also do a green liquid called Elsan Organic, which is supposed to be environmentally safe.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Even if you don't use your holding tank (we don't), flushing through with clean seawater every month or so seems to keep any residual smells at bay.

We have started using small doses of Odourlos as "belt and braces".

Ric

Visit site
I fitted a head-o-matic tankette on the flush inlet and this really does seem to stop all smells. Even if I open the inspection hatch on a full hatch, the smell is not unpleasant - it is reminiscent of a good garden compost heap. Apparently the bullets contain a biocide which kill the anaerobic bacteria (which create the bad smells) but leaves the good aerobic bacteria to get on with their job of breaking down the contents. The bullets apparently also contain an acid to lower the pH and reduce the deposition of urea salts in the pipework. A further advantage is that when leaving the boat I can unscrew the tankette and break the siphon in the inlet pipe and so pump it entirely dry. Finally it makes the flush a cool blue colour.

Unfortunately it is getting very hard to find the bullets and so I am wondering whether they are being discouraged on environmental grounds.