HMS Queen Elizabeth

dunedin

Visit site
So the statement was - There was also no permanent damage caused and the fire will have no impact on HMS Queen Elizabeth’s current programme.

Well the reason there is “no impact on its current programme” is probably because its actual service programme was abandoned weeks ago and it is in dry dock for other repairs - ie it is doing nothing useful anyway.

capnsensible

Visit site
So the statement was - There was also no permanent damage caused and the fire will have no impact on HMS Queen Elizabeth’s current programme.

Well the reason there is “no impact on its current programme” is probably because its actual service programme was abandoned weeks ago and it is in dry dock for other repairs - ie it is doing nothing useful anyway.
Being smart, of course, the docking that was due anyway was simply bought forward to include shaft rectification. The fire damage repair is, by comparison, straightforward. And the spare carrier took up the programme.

Well done all round. :)

dunedin

Visit site
Being smart, of course, the docking that was due anyway was simply bought forward to include shaft rectification. The fire damage repair is, by comparison, straightforward. And the spare carrier took up the programme.

Well done all round. :)
So when was the scheduled docking due, and for how long ? Last time the "shaft rectification" seemed to take about a year off service

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I bet the Koreans could whip up a few floating runways that you could fly proper jets off for peanuts.
Maersk regularly buy stuff the size of the UK's carriers for a tenth of the price. Just go twice as long and fly Typhoons off it...

Bouba

Visit site
I bet the Koreans could whip up a few floating runways that you could fly proper jets off for peanuts.
Maersk regularly buy stuff the size of the UK's carriers for a tenth of the price. Just go twice as long and fly Typhoons off it...
The Koreans are really struggling with an aircraft carrier....the consortium that built the QE & PoW is advising. But their politicians have squabbled over it for years and may not be any closer to agreeing on it. Don’t assume that only the Brits gets everything wrong

Biggles Wader

Visit site
The Koreans are really struggling with an aircraft carrier....the consortium that built the QE & PoW is advising. But their politicians have squabbled over it for years and may not be any closer to agreeing on it. Don’t assume that only the Brits gets everything wrong
We could sell them ours. Solve the naval manning problem at a stroke!

capnsensible

Visit site
So when was the scheduled docking due, and for how long ? Last time the "shaft rectification" seemed to take about a year off service
Well not being Flag Officer Aircraft Carriers and font of all knowledge regarding power train requirements (large and expensive warships) all I can say is that by reading the news like anyone else, it's a different defect.

dunedin

Visit site
Well not being Flag Officer Aircraft Carriers and font of all knowledge regarding power train requirements (large and expensive warships) all I can say is that by reading the news like anyone else, it's a different defect.
But both failed deployments and at best months out of service. Make pretty pictures going under the Forth bridges though.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Can’t help feeling that the Invincible class through deck cruisers were a pretty good fit for the uk’s requirements and capabilities. Their early disposal, and selling off the newly updated sea harriers seemed like a daft idea at the time to me.

The fact that the new carriers have no catapults, so need STOL aircraft, makes the whole thing even more ridiculous; why did we need such huge carriers if we can only use such aircraft ?

Hot Property

Visit site
I hear stories from people trying to join the forces. They are interviewed by Capita tele sales people ticking boxes. Then the process can take up to a year to get approved. Some have waited 2 years. By which time they have got another job & lost interest, so do not go forward.
One chap reported that they had lost his details, so asked him to go though the initial approval again. Needless to say he told them to stuff it.
Why on earth it cannot be done within one month like any normal job beats me. In fact a decent desk sergeant could possibly weed out the no hopers in 10 minutes ( they are the ones that used to get first pick) :rolleyes: :LOL:

That was my son.

A year or so later I met a captain in naval recruitment, told him the sad story, he said why doesn't he apply again!!!

F**k *** Popeye you had your chance.

Son now completing Masters in electronics with job secured already. Far more opportunities to travel the world with that career....

Bouba

Visit site
Can’t help feeling that the Invincible class through deck cruisers were a pretty good fit for the uk’s requirements and capabilities. Their early disposal, and selling off the newly updated sea harriers seemed like a daft idea at the time to me.

The fact that the new carriers have no catapults, so need STOL aircraft, makes the whole thing even more ridiculous; why did we need such huge carriers if we can only use such aircraft ?
The logic of large ships is that they are easily upgradable over their lifetime...small cramped vessels aren’t....air is free and steel is cheap is the justification