Hints for finding info on a classic boat (Falcon, Rhu)

yodave

Visit site
Hello...

I'm looking for pointers on how best to find out info on a classic yacht.

I don't have much to go on. Essentially I have telecine footage of my late grandparents and late uncle onboard a black twin mast wooden yacht called Falcon, that was maybe about 60ft, possibly more.

I understand that the footage was shot in the sixties/seventies somewhere on the Clyde. I also believe that Falcon was kept at Rhu near Helensburgh, and that her owner at the time was Mr Fleck. While I'm unsure on this point, I seem to remember being told that she sank.

Any pointers on how I might be able to find out more would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Poignard

Visit site
A yacht of that size would almost certainly have been registered. The Caird Library, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, has copies of Lloyd's Register of Yachts so that might be a good place to start.

burgundyben

Visit site
Society of Yachting Historians has put the entire LLoyds Register into soft copy on a memory stick and its searchable, all for the bargain price of £95.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A yacht of that size would almost certainly have been registered. The Caird Library, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, has copies of Lloyd's Register of Yachts so that might be a good place to start.

It would also have been very likely to have a C racing number, issued in these days by the Clyde Cruising Club, and it's also probable that the owner would have been a CCC member. You could ask the club (www.clyde.org) if they have members' handbooks which you could consult.

A posh boat at Rhu is also likely to have been in the Royal Northern YC (now the Royal Northern and Clyde) so that could be a good place to ask as well. Their clubhouse is on the market, which may mean that the whole club is on its way out, so it might be a good idea to contact them soon.

yodave

Visit site
JumbleDuck; thanks for your thoughts. I've been searching through online sources tonight with no luck. It could be that a more local search is the way to go.

I have found a picture online (on this page; http://www.john-the-fish.co.uk/fish_main.htm ) that shows a lifebuoy with Falcon and CCC, but I'm not at all sure it's the same boat as she's described as 100ft. Definitely worth following up though.

Many thanks ��

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Back in 1958, the Falcon was moored off the old Rhu Pier and as you say, by Mr Fleck. The yacht was used as a charter boat. Mr Fleck also hired out moorings. Seem to recall the Falcon had a bowsprit so that could make up a bit of the length question. It could have been 100 FT LOA as it was pretty big. I was 13 at the time and was amazed that someone could own such a large yacht.

From memory, Fleck was a bit of a gruff old git as he was not very helpful when my Dad asked for help in raising his cabin cruiser which had sunk.

Can't help any more as we moved our boat up to Garelochead shortly after recovering Dads boat.

yodave

Visit site
Jcorstorphine; great info thank you very much. It's a pity your experience with Mr Fleck wasn't a positive one. Yes, Falcon had a large bowsprit which must have been 15ft or more. 100ft sounds a lot, but it could have been. I'll need to look at the footage again.

My grandfather kept his boat across the water at Clynder. I didn't know that Falcon was chartered; it could be my grandparents/uncle occasionally crewed as I think they were onboard semi-regularly. Not convinced I see them chartering (as they had their own boat).

Thanks again; as I wasn't present, it's great to have third party confirmation that the info I have is accurate.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
JumbleDuck; thanks for your thoughts. I've been searching through online sources tonight with no luck. It could be that a more local search is the way to go.

I have found a picture online (on this page; http://www.john-the-fish.co.uk/fish_main.htm ) that shows a lifebuoy with Falcon and CCC, but I'm not at all sure it's the same boat as she's described as 100ft. Definitely worth following up though.

The Falcon on that page was an ex-Fleetwood pilot cutter, and a Google search of "Falcon Fleetwood Pilot Cutter" brings up this image from Fleetwood Museum

LAN_LCMS_LANMS_1974_149_63.jpg

with the note that "The 'Falcon' was built by Nicholson and Marsh of Glasson Dock in 1894. She was owned by the self-employed Fleetwood Pilots, Messrs Gerrard, Wright, Iddon and Fog, but was sold to the Belfast Harbour Commissioners in 1915."

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I have to say the pic by JumbleDuck looks very much how I remember the Falcon with her schooner bow, bowsprit and long stern overhang BUT that is a memory from 60 years ago however that time was etched in my memory as my Dads cabin cruiser (which he had bought only about four weeks earlier) had dragged its moorings and run aground. Having floated it off the beach we moored it and checked there was no leaks. However, when we went down a week later, the boat had sunk and I was heartbroken. As I said, time etched in my memory

yodave

Visit site
JumbleDuck: Many thanks! That could well be the Falcon I'm looking for. It's hard to be 100% sure. I've been looking at the cine footage and have grabbed some images (below, hopefully). The biggest difference I can see is that there's a pilothouse to the stern on the footage, but I guess that could well have been added at a later date.

Interestingly, the painting you discovered was made into a stamp in 2015:

http://www.collectgbstamps.co.uk/images/contributors/royalmail/2015_8209_l.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like the Fleetwood Museum closed three months ago.

Jcorstorphine: Your memory is clearly much better than mine, as I struggle to remember things that happened six years ago, never mind sixty. Thank you for your further input. Although these images might not bring back good memories for you (apologies), I thought that it might be worth uploading a couple of cine-grabs...

FalconGrab01.jpg

and

FalconGrab02.jpg

Thanks again!