Hi

sapper1re

Visit site
My name is Steve ,im a fireman and retire in 7years ,i have a dream to buy a boat and live on it with a look at moving down the coast , i live in lancashire would love to go round Europe , have so many questions any advice would be great

Ludd

Visit site
You don't say you have any experience. I f none, best go on a basic sailing course with a sailing school, then get to know people at your nearest marina, some of whom may well want crew for the occasional day sail.
If you enjoy it, then try to loook at as many boat types as possible before thinking about buying.

sapper1re

Visit site
You don't say you have any experience. I f none, best go on a basic sailing course with a sailing school, then get to know people at your nearest marina, some of whom may well want crew for the occasional day sail.
If you enjoy it, then try to loook at as many boat types as possible before thinking about buying.

I have no experience at all , thanks for advice

Mwinda

Visit site
Welcome to the adventure Steve, loads of knowledge around these parts so keep reading, and 7 years is a great planning time-line. As above get some water miles under you some how, lots of ways to do that.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I suggest you start by making yourself known at local sailing clubs. Ribble Cruising Club would be a suggestion. Try a bit of sailing before making any decisions, lots of people think they would like the life but change their minds when they have tried it.

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
My name is Steve ,im a fireman and retire in 7years ,i have a dream to buy a boat and live on it with a look at moving down the coast , i live in lancashire would love to go round Europe , have so many questions any advice would be great

Based on your user name am I correct in believing that you were one in the Royal Engineers?

Thedreamoneday

Visit site

Hi Steve,

Welcome, I started on my journey to my dream 2 1/2 years ago and now have a very nice boat which my wife and I move on in 6 months (April, will need to change my user name then :) )

I'd say get somewhere local and get involved, maybe Preston marina and just start chatting to people (most people with boats like to talk about them) there may be a notice board looking for crew, you could get on a comp crew course which would give you basics and start introducing you to people.

I can recommend 'Conwy yacht charter' in North Wales for courses, no connection just a happy customer.

Good luck

sapper1re

Visit site
Hi Steve,

Welcome, I started on my journey to my dream 2 1/2 years ago and now have a very nice boat which my wife and I move on in 6 months (April, will need to change my user name then :) )

I'd say get somewhere local and get involved, maybe Preston marina and just start chatting to people (most people with boats like to talk about them) there may be a notice board looking for crew, you could get on a comp crew course which would give you basics and start introducing you to people.

I can recommend 'Conwy yacht charter' in North Wales for courses, no connection just a happy customer.

Good luck

Thinking more of a motorboat than a sailboat , like the Mfv but will be on own , can one be sailed with one person ? What is best material to be made of ?lots of questions lol

V1701

Visit site
Lots of different types & materials, fibreglass & steel most common. Some higher performance motorboats can be extremely thirsty on fuel. Look at drive type (shaft/outdrive). As others have said, get out on the water somehow, suggest trying both power and sail before you buy anything. More long term liveaboards have sail rather than motor & if you want to do longer distances without stopping got to be sail or a trawler yacht...

Other threads that may be of interest