here's a nice thing to wake up to

rusty_nail

Visit site
here\'s a nice thing to wake up to

WHY ARE POLITICIANS SUCH PLONKERS (in Cyprus)?

... so, I did all the research; got the finance; found the boat I wanted; started to plan my trip home from Greece after picking her up; I sat down on the balcony in the morning, coffee and a ciggie, feeling pretty shiny.
picked up the newspaper, front page: BOAT OWNERS SET TO QUIT IN ROW OVER NEW TAX! Bu88er!

The Cypriot govt's finance minister has decided to charge 38% on yachts (VAT, import, 'luxury' tax). Meanwhile, his pal the tourism minister's not too chuffed about it. He was planning six new, well-specified marinas with 4100 spaces.

Now that Cyprus is moving into Europe, we offshore employees in the country are paying more income tax and no longer getting relief from duty on goods. This new tax could drive many away, with their companies, to Greece, lebanon, etc.

So are they daft, or am I just peeved?!

;-) Russ

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
Re: here\'s a nice thing to wake up to

Having been visiting Cyprus for over 15 years, it seems there is no Government or officials like the one’s in Cyprus, No! You’re not going daft. With the nearing accession to the EU Cyprus Is getting a wake up call to the problems within the club! The main reason for joining in the first place was to avert and get some security from an invasion from Turkey! But they have to have all the EU laws to boot. People will be affected but I am sure the Cyprus Government will no doubt flout the laws in same shape or form. There are some pending Human Rights issues to sort out in the meantime. Big tax changes on the horizon but then I suppose the Cypriot’s will follow the Italians way of paying a little for the tax man and a lot for us. One unfortunate thing is the building programmes, too much, too greed !

Wishbone

rusty_nail

Visit site
Re: here\'s a nice thing to wake up to

yep, I totally agree. it's a great place to live on the whole, but there are these little frustrations!

there is a large protest lobby, both in the the political parties and in the yachting community, so fingers crossed that sense wins the day.

cheers
Russ