Here at last!!

nicho

Visit site
As you may have seen from the "Traitor" post, after 4 months of eager anticipation, our new boat has arrived. We took posession last Friday, with a view to sailing it round to our temporary berth at Gosport on the Saturday (with Twister Ken and Jimi along for some guidence - remember, this is my first sailing boat!) Having spent a sleepless night aboard at Sparkes marina on Friday, listening to the wind howling through the rigging, and torrential rain hammering on the deck, it was with huge relief that Saturday morning dawned with the wind falling to a Force3/4, and the rain giving way to a bit of sun.

We had a cracking sail through the forts, and I am now so looking forward to getting back out to sea.

I have a huge amount to learn, but have taken training with Southern Sailing School, received great help from Jimi and Ken, and a lot of useful advice from this forum, I feel well placed to get out and get more experience.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed during the build up to the big day - the boat's a Bav 36 called "prophecy" - she will be well stocked, so if you see us anywhere, hail us and come aboard for some refreshment.

I apologise if this is a boring post, but at this end we're really excited!!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Don\'t worry, be happy.

You needn't worry if, when you see Prophecy, she's under power. Nicho managed a spectacular bit of parking - full steam astern, wheel hard over, full steam ahead, neutral and the boat stopped nicely alongside the pontoon. My heart had returned to its normal speed after the second glass of bubbly.

Maybe stinkies can teach us raggies a thing or two.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Congratulations. Next time we're about the solent I'll keep an ear out for you (and the rest of the guys), pitty we are just a wee bit too far away to nip down for a weekend.

Regards, Jeff.

jimi

Visit site
Re: Don\'t worry, be happy.

Can confirm the parking was impressive .. and no prop walk either to help!

tcm

Visit site
Re: stinkie lessons

Agreed. Although you'll note that a fair proportion of the course material involves drinking.

Good luck, Nicho, with your new boat Prophecy. I knew you'd call it that. <groan>

max_power

Visit site
Congratulations !

I am sure you will enjoy your lovely new boat and the forthcoming adventures.

You must now be completely broke !

But remember - That being broke is a requirement for experiencing the true meaning of going to sea.

Visit site
> this is my first sailing boat!

Hope you discovered the best bit, for me it is the first 30 seconds of silence after the engine is cut, you then turn off the wind a few more degree and the yacht heels over.

iangrant

Visit site
It's a real shame that we didn't realise it was you, I would have waited so that we could have sailed along together and I could have taken some pics.

Glad you're pleased, see you soon

Ian

Stingo

Visit site
Re: Photos

Nicho

If you're in Haslar tomorrow, come around to Stingo and borrow my digital camera. I'll then email the photos that you want to you. Problem solved.

John

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

jamesjermain

Visit site
Spectacular

I experienced a similarly spectacular piece of parking recently at the hands of a boat salesman/demonstrator.
1) line up boat prallel with pontoon, two lengths off, facing opposite direction to final park.
2) Full ahead, wheel hard over.
3) Boat comes round in a little more thanl a length and a half.
4) As boat becomes parallel with pontoon again hard astern wheel amidships
5) Boat stops dead fore and aft but drifts sideways into berth.

Spectacular bit was that the berth was 44ft long between two v wide yachts and we were in a 42 footer.

JJ

Stingo

Visit site

Pity, I was looking forward to meeting Twister Ken & Jimi

give me a shout when you're next down

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

themount2

Visit site

We are moving to Campers on 31st March from Hamble Point and always have a digital camera on board. Let me know if you will still be there then and I will come looking for you although you will probably have plenty of pics by then. Good luck and good sailing.
Brian