Henley Standard 31st August...

ianc1200

Visit site
....has a headline "RESCUED Six pulled from water as boat capsizes" and a dramatic photo of an upturned cruiser in front of The New Orleans. Said to be a private cruiser moored at Wargrave, the incident happened on Sunday close to Marsh Lock. The report said the six people were on the front of the boat, called "Alminah" and it appeared unstable then capsized. Looking at the upturned boat on the front page I'd guess the boat was about 30' long.

Bit worrying!

IanC

Hirdsp

Visit site
Yeah, we saw it semi-moored up, with the chap from Val Wyatts holding onto a rope whilst someone waded onto it to get a few bits...they must have righted it by then...would love to know also what happed.

No Regrets

Visit site
I have seen a few medium sized cruisers wobbling around quite precariously, in my humble opinion, and always wondered how much provocation they need to turn over!

A Sealine 255 circa 26' for example, with around 7 people sitting on and around the bows/ cabin area....thats not smart, I'll bet it's only designed for 7 people in the first place, and unlike the thick end, the bows are not a good place to load in this fashion are they?

ianc1200

Visit site
Thinking about it, some ten years ago I was one of about twenty people who got on a Norman (the type very similar to a Bates Astral) to get it under Osney Bridge. I was one of those standing on a side deck, and I thought I felt it going over at one point. Got under the bridge though.

IanC

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen a few medium sized cruisers wobbling around quite precariously, in my humble opinion, and always wondered how much provocation they need to turn over!

A Sealine 255 circa 26' for example, with around 7 people sitting on and around the bows/ cabin area....thats not smart, I'll bet it's only designed for 7 people in the first place, and unlike the thick end, the bows are not a good place to load in this fashion are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
The bows of a small craft are the last place you want lots of people especially if you are turning sharply. Their weight is thrown to one side with no support made worse by the motor driving the craft on to an unsupported area.