Henley regatta fireworks

TrueBlue

Visit site
For those in the know the (up to now) the annual firework display after the Saturday's explosion of poor taste by boaters, crashing blades, too much bubbly and that ilk is an event not to be missed by those who have trolled up and down outside the Rowing Course (not being aware of the muscular activities within) all day and want a burst of low frequency energy is not to be missed.

However this year, all is confused. Will the fireworks take place this year? Sources close to the downstream end indicated that last year's organiser - isn't. I can find no reference on the web. HRR of course wouldn't want to be concerned by any drunken (well let's say well oiled) activities after the real event - that of ROWING, naturally, has ceased for the day.

<span style="color:blue"> SOOO, please would some local please enlighten me; big bangs this year or not?? </span>

(For those who don't have a clue what I'm waffling on about; please don't attend 'cos I need a lorra space to moor me boat and dinghy...

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Know exactly what you are talking about having done Henley 6/7 years on the trot in the 90's and joined in the Saturday night celebs (Hi, Lady Y - a good night I recall rafted up!!!). Little boats came round for donations for next years fireworks - always dropped them a fiver; but compared to EPCOT or the displays we now see in Spain (for free) then Henley put on a sorry show.

Steve: thames tourer; Eastwood 24 called Nenesse

matt_lake

Visit site
Henley Bridge is due to be closed to road traffic on Saturday evening so I assume someone is putting on a display. But you know what they say about assumption being the mother of all f*** ups! I don't fancy turning up with a boat load of people just to watch the rain!!

TrueBlue

Visit site
Late(r) breaking news

Shock, horror -

Sources close to the EA show confusion (not EA's), I understand that there are contingency plans <span style="color:red">if</span> the fireworks are to take place.

The Tourist office thinks the fireworks are "on", <span style="color:blue"> but for the last time this year</span>..... Try HRR offices - not likely; I don't wear a pink cap or tie.

The Henley Standard ditto - see this week's edition (Thursday), so wouldn't give any information in advance.

Hobbs and the Caversham boats have evening bookings, but the fireworks are seen as a bonus, so they weren't bothered either way.

It all is a bit of a muddle - well certainly on the information front, and for me I need to know by this weekend.

Any ideas, folks??

Brayman

Visit site
Re: Late(r) breaking news

According to this week's Henley Standard the Fireworks are definitely ON. they have been saved again by a local guy but I think he says it will be the last time - I didn't get chance to read it properly as it was somone else's paper!