help on buying

G

we need advice on how to make an offer. if a boat was advertised for 30k,what would be a suitable offer? is there an unwritten rule that we can work on? any advice much appreciated

G

Think of it this way if you were selling your house/car or whatever for what you think it is worth and we shall say 30k would you then take kindly to some twit making a damn silly offer, no im sure not so look around and compare then make a reasonable offer based on judgment not some idiots saying knock 20% off

G

All depends if you can give good reason yo knock them down and if they are desperate to sell.i paid 13k for mine and it was up for 19k , but there was no survey on her.I said i would make an offer if she had a survey carried out and then bought her (reduced price with what survey showed) I then paid for the rights for the survey.

G

Depends on how desperate they are to sell and how badly you want the boat.I tried a silly offer on my present boat 8 years ago. They wanted 40K and I offered 30K which was initially rejected. However they came back a few days later. We settled for 31K with survey but I agreed to accept cosmetic repairs. There are a lot of boats on the market. It is always a buyers market. Keep away from brokers if you can.

G

I agree that the broker prices are allowing for their cut, but at least you have a little bit of come back if your spending 30k on something.The broker i bought my boat from were, and still are being very helpfull in sorting out minor details, as im in Cardiff, they are in Ipswich! Maybe i am lucky...

G

I have first hand experience of brokers in action with myself and friends buying and selling boats. One example from several years ago. Moody 36 for sale on brokerage in Gibraltar. I looked at it, was interested and made arrangements to return in 2 days for a closer look and make an offer subject to survey. The broker told me the price expected and I said OK. I turned up at the marina at the appointed hour to find the owner on board with the broker. The owner was mightily p----- off as he had just arrived with crew from Germany to take the boat to the Caribbean as he had been unable to sell. He got me to one side and asked what price the broker was asking. He was furious because he had called the broker one month before and told him to drop the price 5K which the broker had not done. He apologised as he had now made his alternative plan. Result one disappointed seller/prospective buyer caused by one innefficient broker. The boat would have been a bargain at 5K reduction. The broker was looking at making a fast buck. I have friends who are genuine buyers who have found brokers to be offhand to say the least when making enquiries.