Help me find a Liveaboard boat

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I'm pretty much set to try the liveaboard life for a couple of years in the uk while I continue working in the central south area. I have a few friends that have lived aboard in the UK for some years so have a realistic view of life afloat . I have been looking at boats my criteria are as follows.

Sailboat
Center-cockpit preferred over aft cockpit to get a large stern cabin.
Needs plenty of storage lockers (obviously)
Size 34-36"
Price 35-45K
Looks and sailing ability are less important that accommodation as I'm keeping my other boat to sail but I still want a usable sail-boat for longer term plans.
Space needed for one/two with occasional guests.
Preference towards a production boat that should be easier to sell in due-course than a one-off custom cruiser.

I have been looking at late 80/early 90's Westerly yachts as they seem hard to beat for price/accommodation and the best so far is the Corsair but I would appreciate other options. Moody 346 is also a popular option with plenty for sale but not been on one yet. OceanQuest/Seahawk/Falcon is just big enough I think. Other ideas....?

I appreciate that whatever I get will be a compromise and will likely need the addition of decent heating, insulation and a cockpit enclosure.

I look forward to your suggestions/thoughts.

upcountry2

Visit site
Have you thought about a Sealord as you have been considering Westerly, ticks all your boxes.
Just so happens I have one for sale in your price range.
Refitted, Volvo 2040,new mast, boom, all deck gear etc inc standing and running rigging, 8 new Lewmar winches etc and much more.
Sorry could'nt resist the plug....

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Have you thought about a Sealord as you have been considering Westerly, ticks all your boxes.
Just so happens I have one for sale in your price range.
Refitted, Volvo 2040,new mast, boom, all deck gear etc inc standing and running rigging, 8 new Lewmar winches etc and much more.
Sorry could'nt resist the plug....

Plug away, no problem. At 39' I think it's just a bit bigger than I want (mooring fees!) but feel free to pm me a link to the boat details.

Tranona

Visit site
You are along the right lines as those boats are popular for liveaboards and long term cruisers. However the 346 is perhaps not the best. Tries to cram too much in and the slightly bigger 37/376 is a much better boat both as a sailing boat and better accommodation. Available at the top of your price range for a good one.

BradleyC

Visit site
You could look at a Prout catamaran (34-36 ft). catamarans tend to have more comfortable accomodation than monohulls, as you are not on your ear in the same way. Just a thought!

Visit site
The marina fees need not be high either. The old catamarans are only around 4-5 metres wide. Premier marinas have said that they don't charge extra for multihulls if they can fit in a standard berth of similar length yacht.

FullCircle

Visit site
Just scraping in is the excellent Beneteau 36CC, I nearly bought one of them. A more modern take on the Moody / Westerly collection

laika

Visit site
At 39' I think it's just a bit bigger than I want (mooring fees!) but feel free to pm me a link to the boat details.

Depends where you park it. The Sealord comes in under 12m which is a breakpoint for Premier. If (as I believe) it's essentially the same mould as the Oceanlord then it's good for tall people. It's certainly worth considering. Wondering where the heck upcountry has *8* winches though. 2 on the mast?

wazza

Visit site
I'm guessing the Scandinavian Najad and HR are possibly a little to expensive..? But I have a Najad 343, and know of a couple that liveaboard one here in Sweden during the winter comfortably.. Storage is better than the HR 352 and that's one of the reasons we bought ours. Happy for 10 years of ownership..

upcountry2

Visit site
Depends where you park it. The Sealord comes in under 12m which is a breakpoint for Premier. If (as I believe) it's essentially the same mould as the Oceanlord then it's good for tall people. It's certainly worth considering. Wondering where the heck upcountry has *8* winches though. 2 on the mast?

3 either side on cockpit coatings, 2 under sprayhood

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I know where there is a very nice one for sail (Benny 36cc) same marine engineer owner for about 12 years. It's in the Ionian for sale.

PM me for more details if interested.