Help, Considering an offer on a Birchwood..talk me out of it!

[2068]

Visit site
Re: Ignore the badge police

Boats need to "be" something.

They can "be" rufty tufty, or sexy, design focussed, or practical, it doesn't matter.

My only issue is that I'm not sure what a Birchwood "is", and the market never figured it out either.

The practical result of this is while the seller might be trying to bite your hand off, you might end up with something that is not easy to sell on, compared to a similar Sealine or other brand.

dv.

Sneds

Visit site

Have just looked (on the web) at one for sale with pink carpets!
Looks OK to me, lots of space and all seems to be in good condition.
I'd have it surveyed by someone other than who did the last survey(does that make sense?)
Looks like a lot of boat for the money and I like the look of it.
Don't know enough to comment on the sea keeipng abilities but it hasn't sunk yet!
Whats in a name?
We have a Mustang 2800 (just gone bust?) and it was about £25k cheaper than an equivilant Sealine. Before that we backed out of the purchase of a Sealine do to structuaral problems on that Sealine, the Mustang was described as solidily built.
Ok not a name familiar to many, but with VP mechanicals and a good history, whats the problem?
We intend to keep her for a good few years and the previous owner took the financial hit, I have the sales invoice! Seems similar with your Birchwwood, sorry, the Birchwood. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
If it works for you, buy it and smile smugly at the guy who has just paid £100k for a similar boat but with a different "name."

This is our boat and we love her

click on the image to enlarge
How much if she was a Fairline? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let us know how you get on!

oldgit

Visit site

Maybe the Birchwood "is" the Sealine of an earlier era.? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TwoRebels

Visit site
The purchase criteria for my first 2 boats was price and accomodation. From my experience, and if you want to go serious cruising, I'd go for sea keeping any day as a first priority in considering a boat. Those AD41 engines are good though!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

OK, I'll try to talk you out of it. First and most important, if you don't immediately really really want the boat, then you'll regret buying it. By the sound of it, the plain fact that you've posted this thread suggests that, in your heart, you don't really want this boat so you'll spend the whole of your time with her trying to convince yourself that it's the boat for you. Second, if the price is dropping like a stone, then it's because nobody else wants her either
I'm not a fan of outdrive flybridge boats either. I had a similar boat (Sealine 305) myself and it was a pig to handle at slow speed because it was so easily blown about. Just had a look at THIS Challenger 330 . Looking at the pics, the engines/drives look to be very close together (you can't get a fag paper between the engines) which will make the boat even trickier to handle and may make servicing more difficult. Doubtless there'll be an outdrive fan along in a minute to tell me I'm talking bollocks but I would factor in buying a bow thruster if I was you. If you've got to have an outdrive fly boat, then IMHO, the Sealine 305/310/330/F33 makes a better buy because you'll be able to sell it again. Obviously, the Birchwood name does'nt help. I'm not sure you're right about this boat being built in the 'finacially sound' years. Did they not go bust around 1999/2000? Earlier Birchwoods were well built but later ones have a reputation for being less well built
Again totally IMHO, for the same sort of money as this and if you really want a flybridge, you should be looking at shaftdrive. Yes you may have to go for something older but it will be a better boat

davedpc

Visit site
Jes Have you ever owned a F33 ? Ive had one for the last 10 years with no real problems. If trimmed correctly it will handle most seas. Think it would break you long before the boat. Dont know why so many people knock Sealines probably a bit like Fords they are so popular.

Whitelighter

Visit site
No, but then I don't see why I have to have owned something to like it or not? In fact, I never mentioned why I didn't like the F33. You have made an assumption based on your ownership expereince which says more about the boat then I ever can.

For the record, I don't like the mid 90's floral fabrics, I don't like the white melomine joinery, I don't like the flybridge layout and I don't like the external styling - it has got nothing to do with its handling - Is this bad because you seem to have a hang up about it?

As for knocking Sealine - when did I do that? In fact, I have posted on here many times that Sealine should be applauded for sticking with smaller boats where the other UK brands have abandoned them to go bigger. For the record again, I think the S28 is one of the best sub 30ft boats ever, and the S34 is very cleverly packaged indeed to get so much into that size of boat. I even like the S29 (not SC though) and the SC38 looks good. Don't like the SC35 though because of its cockpit and saloon detailing - but then that is just preference.

So I will say it again, because I don't have a problem with my reasons, I don't like the F33. There are many other boats I don't like for a whole variety of reasons as well, but that is part of having a choice.

The fact that you have got stroppy about something that weasn't even mentioned suggests that there is something playing on your mind. So come on then, what are the F33's bad handling characteristics - since you brought them up and everything...

KevB

Visit site
The only reservation I'd have about buying that particular boat if I was looking for a flybridge of that size is the engines. Bullet proof yes but only 200bhp. I'm sure once it's up on the plane it'll stomp along nicely but getting it up there in the first place may be a bit slooow.

cloud7

Visit site
Jez, pehaps it would be helpfull to Davedpc if your edited your first post on this ' FWIW I WOULD'NT GO NEAR AND F33', /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif to be fair to Davedpc he gave an honest opinion based on 10 years ownership, so his view has accountability, should you add would'nt go near because of mid floral fabrics etc

Whitelighter

Visit site
Your right, I wouldn't go near one because of aweful floral fabrics, horrible melomine joinery, a flybridge I don't like and styling that to me looks wrong. That is not to say that some people find them perfect. Why is it suddenly wrong to have an opinion based on looks, comfort and the flybridge? Even if it were the best hull in the world, I wouldn't buy one because I don;t like the rest.

Where is the problem? it's my criteria, but that is what forms opinions. So yes, FWIW I wouldn't go near an F33

cloud7

Visit site
Jez, who stated that 'IT WAS WRONG TO HAVE AN OPINION BASED ON LOOKS' don't see it on this thread, you have indicated your dislike of a particular boat on the basis of
fabric, joinery & flybridge layout which is your opinion which is respected , which also gives clear guidance to any prospective buyer why you would not have one.which is an objective of this Forum ...advice & guidance to others.
Happy days /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
buyers of this boat
buyers

DAKA

Visit site
Hi Paul,
I did post on this before and quickly deleted it as I didn t think you really wanted to be put off it but as I am not the only one who has doubts I repost

Engines for that era are simply the best.

I had Outdrives of this era that lived in fresh water apart from the summer season, when I decided to go coastal I decided old legs immersed in salt year round wasn't going to afford reliable service.

Birchwoods look good and dont date like some boats.
the space is fantastic

Seakeeping.........does that really matter ?

If you are going to berth it in the Solent and use it occasional weekends then it is the ideal boat.

If you were thinking of serious sea work I think you may be seriously disapointed.......