Helm Sync Controls function Identification

Fire99

Visit site
Hi All,

I have these two controls on my lower helm. Now I'm going to guess the Port /Stbd one is which throttle is the sync'd throttle when using one to control both. That I think I can work out.
However, the other function under sync is p/h and f/b. That is a mystery..

Any thoughts what this does. Both toggles are three way. Left, Centre and Right. Centre I would guess is neutral..

So it's the p/h f/b one that is currently a mystery.. Please see attached pics..

All replies to the usual address please.. :D

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-08-03 at 19.30.32.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-08-03 at 19.30.32.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-08-03 at 19.30.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-08-03 at 19.30.33.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 7

Fire99

Visit site
Pilot house and Flybrid
My ability to guess what this means is exhausted I'm afraid; if it didn't say 'SYNC' under the PH/FB switch I' suggest that might be the 'active station' selector.
It's a strange one but Pilot House and Flybridge I think you could be onto something.. Thanks.. I'll have a dabble on the next run out and see what happens.. or doesnt happen. :oops::cool:

Fire99

Visit site
Have you ever tried driving from below? (assuming FB is your preferred)?
Yeah when I first got the boat I ran her from the lower helm.. Still do from time to time. No difference from the Flybridge other than I can run up the lower helm throttles in neutral by pulling them out from the throttle station. They're all cable operated so the upper helms operate with the lower ones.

Fire99

Visit site
I don’t understand how a rev sync function is going to work at all with mechanical cable controls.
There are electronic solenoids linked to the cables. Don't ask me exactly how it works because I've not actually taken the time to fully understand it yet. It's an interesting mix of mechanical and electronics. Much like the 'trolling' function which drops the revs down so you're not doing 5kts as soon as you are in gear.. That's entirely electronic..
With the sync I think the cables link to electronic controls on the engines so the electronics can decide what cable input they respond to..
Something like that..

Fire99

Visit site
I’ve no better suggestion for PH and FB so for now a working assumption is that the switch selects on or the other. Maybe you could potter out one nice day and test the switches to see if any of them actually make a difference.
I shall. I'll make sure I'm away from other boats but close enough to shore just in case the boat decides to do water equivalents of handbrake turns and backflips :D

I'll report back asap..