Height of radar above waterline ?

Wing Mark

Visit site
If you are putting Radar up the mast , put it above the topping lift sheave and above the point you have or might want to fit a baby/inner stay. Also fit a deck light underneath it . It will give great light on deck and will be well protected...

I moved mine this year and it made a big difference in terms of things getting snagged.

I would fit radar, when you need it you really need it. (It once saved my bacon when gps failed in fog and darkness whilst looking for a port entrance) I have a basic stand alone secondhand unit that cost very little.
If one wants one's bacon saving in the event of a GPS failure, the cheap, low power option is probably a spare GPS?

sarabande

Visit site
If one wants one's bacon saving in the event of a GPS failure, the cheap, low power option is probably a spare GPS?

Unless, of course, as we have all experienced from time to time, that GPS is locally unavailable for military reasons. There is no cheap low-power option for broadcast GPS shutdown or blanking.

pandos

Visit site
No matter how many GPS devices you have, if the system is not functional/ jammed or contradictory you need some other thing....

On that ocassion we had two different but credible positions from a fixed and a handheld gps...(never really resolved the cause)

I now have many separate gps position sources (Ais, Garmin plotter at nav station, android touch screen with Navionics, small plotter in cockpit, phone with Navionics, probably also a tablet with open cpn, )

jwfrary

Visit site
I would tend to agree, 1/4 to 4 maybe 6 miles is about the realistic limit for most of the current yacht radars, even though they advertise capability at 48 miles or so, the pitures junk for anything but detecting cliffs.

A large ship will be detectable at 7-10 miles on most pole mounted sets, which is all you can really expect to be effective range wise.

Ps, merchant vessels more often than not have the radar set at 12 on the S band and 6 miles on the x band. So they wont see you much before they see you!

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've been messing with radars since the early 1970's, first on commercial vessels, and for the last 20 years or so, on my own boat.

There's a few things I've learned.
You can’t get way from the physics, the higher up the better.
Overlaying radar on the chart on an MFD really makes life much easier.
I’d go for a radar over an AIS any day, you can navigate in most places with just a radar. Unless you are surrounded by mud flats, you can see the coastline, big ships a long way off, small boats when you get closer. You can take a range and bearing off the radar and plot it on a chart. Modern radars have MARPA, which will track a target after it has been manually acquired and give you relative bearing and speed. However, an average yacht can only be seen at a range of between 1.5 and 1nm. If the closing speed is 12 knots that’s only 5mins.
Beware of trusting an AIS and any point where a collision is possible within the next few minutes. The AIS position is the last reported position, that position could be minutes old, because the AIS is a self-organising network, with different priorities for class A and B systems. If the network is busy, an AIS position displayed, may be well out of date. You can clearly see this when looking at a radar plot and AIS position of the same vessel on a MFD, especially for a fast-moving vessel. The AIS position will always lag behind the radar plot, and the AIS position will jump forward every minute or so.
If you use pole on the stern, make sure that the beam is high enough to go over the boom and any sail stacked on top of it. Motoring in thick fog, heading for Staff, using the radar, I was surprised and concerned to see a small motor cruiser appear on my port bow, having crossed ahead of me. It had been completely invisible on the radar on the starboard quarter. I realised that the radar was being blocked by the boom and a stack of wet sail. I fitted a longer pole.
If the radar is on the mast, beware of short tacking with a stay sail. An overlapping Genoa will slide over a radar dome, the leach of a stay sail may hit the radar dome. I completely demolished a radar dome, fitted to the forward side of the mast, short tacking down the sound of Mull in 20knots or so, with a stay sail.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I find AIS very 'laggy', meaning it is way behind what I see with the eye. Having just looked up the transmission rates for Class A, between 2 and 10 seconds, and Class B, between 3 minutes and 30 seconds, I now know why.

boomerangben

Visit site
I don’t have radar nor a boat that would take one, but I’m always nervous of a low slung radar. I’m sure the dosage of radiation is small but quite frankly I’d rather it be 20’ up the mast than 4’ above my head. The radar I use every day (aircraft) has a minimum safe distance of 100’, (it’s only got a 120deg arc so it’s safe to sit 4’ behind it!)I know boat radars are less powerful but even so…….but is there a minimum safe distance in the small print of your radar instruction manual?

Black Sheep

Visit site
Sticking to the question (I know...) rather than joining the debate about radar/ais/gps/eyeball that I'm sure the OP has considered...

When I had radar, it was on a stick at the back. Range was plenty - it's not just to your horizon, but add the horizon distance of the ship's superstructure.

As mentioned above, I believe sea clutter is reduced for a lower height. This might be important for close targets in particular (pot markers etc).

Do the calcs for EMF exposure; it will depend on height of radome, and distance to your watchkeeping position; remember to factor in the duty cycle - ie how much of the time it's blasting in any one direction.

Mast shadow? I never noticed that, maybe because there's enough yawing of my vessel that targets will appear anyway. But you might get a mast reflection, eg you're passing land a mile to your stbd, but you see a small target a mile off your port bow; that's the land reflected off your mast.

On a stick suited me. Putting the dome halfway up the mast seems like a lot of weight aloft (but your judgement will vary - less critical with a larger boat), plus the complications of another cable to deal with when dropping the mast.

In my view, for my sailing, there's no compelling reason to put it up the mast.

blush2

Visit site
Sticking to the question (I know...) rather than joining the debate about radar/ais/gps/eyeball that I'm sure the OP has considered...

When I had radar, it was on a stick at the back. Range was plenty - it's not just to your horizon, but add the horizon distance of the ship's superstructure.

As mentioned above, I believe sea clutter is reduced for a lower height. This might be important for close targets in particular (pot markers etc).

Do the calcs for EMF exposure; it will depend on height of radome, and distance to your watchkeeping position; remember to factor in the duty cycle - ie how much of the time it's blasting in any one direction.

Mast shadow? I never noticed that, maybe because there's enough yawing of my vessel that targets will appear anyway. But you might get a mast reflection, eg you're passing land a mile to your stbd, but you see a small target a mile off your port bow; that's the land reflected off your mast.

On a stick suited me. Putting the dome halfway up the mast seems like a lot of weight aloft (but your judgement will vary - less critical with a larger boat), plus the complications of another cable to deal with when dropping the mast.

In my view, for my sailing, there's no compelling reason to put it up the mast.
On Blush it's on a pole at the stern, I guess about 15ft up. Seems to work pretty well for us. (In fact it is on the boom off himself's first boat S'Agapo - RobbieW is familiar with this boom.)

Using radar with AIS gives an idea of ship size without having to interrogate the AIS data in the first instance.

johnalison

Visit site
I would tend to agree, 1/4 to 4 maybe 6 miles is about the realistic limit for most of the current yacht radars, even though they advertise capability at 48 miles or so, the pitures junk for anything but detecting cliffs.

A large ship will be detectable at 7-10 miles on most pole mounted sets, which is all you can really expect to be effective range wise.

Ps, merchant vessels more often than not have the radar set at 12 on the S band and 6 miles on the x band. So they wont see you much before they see you!
I would want my money back if I could only detect ships at six miles, or even 7-10 max. I normally use mine in open water at the 6 mile range (with AIS covering the distant range). I would rather the set had larger range scales than too little. Longer ranges are occasionally useful for things such as rain.

prv

Visit site
is there a minimum safe distance in the small print of your radar instruction manual?

There will be - but modern solid-state transmitters emit so little power that it’s no longer relevant. I believe my Raymarine Quantum says the safe distance is “within the radome”. At work (where we also encounter some bigger stuff) people sometimes call these modern small leisure sets “huggable radars”.

Pete

Daydream believer

Visit site
When sailing single handed I have enough to do & look at. Operating the AIS is awkward enough on a rolling boat, fingering the chart plotter, whilst trying to helm, or watching where one is going . The extra hassle of radar would be system overload for me. The only time I would apreciate it would be in fog. Then I would possibly too busy helming & gazing into the abiss to operate it, even though it is supposed to do the staring for me. I just could not sail/motor along without physically looking, rather than staring at a screen 6ft away from the helm- or worse still down below.

Skylark

Visit site
sarabande, if you do not have AIS then purchase this before radar. AIS will show you the course, speed and potential collisions plus their name so you can call them up on VHF. Radar only shows the course of the ship and you have to work out if you are at risk of a collision. The only things it can show up are rain showers approaching and any coastline with a distinct shoreline, not flat mud flats. An AIS linked to a chartplotter is what I would suggest you have onboard.
Given that the OP is asking questions regarding installation, I imagine that he has already decided to install radar after evaluating its versatility, hence value to have on board a small boat.

johnalison

Visit site
When sailing single handed I have enough to do & look at. Operating the AIS is awkward enough on a rolling boat, fingering the chart plotter, whilst trying to helm, or watching where one is going . The extra hassle of radar would be system overload for me. The only time I would apreciate it would be in fog. Then I would possibly too busy helming & gazing into the abiss to operate it, even though it is supposed to do the staring for me. I just could not sail/motor along without physically looking, rather than staring at a screen 6ft away from the helm- or worse still down below.
I don’t single-hand but if I were out in fog I would certainly want radar. I have a tiller and the screen is below at the chart table. It might be easier if i had the screen at a binnacle with a wheel but I could easily manage by having it on view on my iPad in the cockpit. Having the confidence that there is nothing large ahead of you is an irreplaceable benefit and has saved my bacon and possibly my marriage more than once.

Csfisher

Visit site
Not sure what age the radar is, but check the recent OFCOM stuff about radio emissions and safe distances. These rules didn’t exist when most radars were mounted onto poles.
May not be a problem, but I didn’t bother to check as our radar is at first spreader height so that was fine.

I'd be surprised if any radars for a leisure boat are that hazardous. The commercial radar for all the large ships I've worked on (ships around 150 meters) have never had hazard distances of more than about 0.5m and that's for radar as old as 70's technology. The newer radars have been even safer, to the point where in theory I could sit on the antenna as it's radiating.