Heartachingly beautiful house for sale in Maine!

Lakesailor

Visit site
Lot of painting to do there.

A bit austere inside for my taste and is that any way to treat a Rocna?

poppies.jpg

marklucas

Visit site
I was just having a skeet at waterside properties for sale on Apolloduck, and came across this stunning house in Maine:

http://www.midcoastyacht.com/Property.htm

Sadly, I have no interest in it whatsoever, and couldn't realistically think of buying it....but it gave me some very pleasant moments of daydreaming.

Just imagine living there!

Yes, but it is in America - my wife has given up on getting us move even though she could double her salary.

NealB

Visit site
The point that stands out, to me, is the astonishingly low price of a wonderful property, in comparison to UK prices.

Marklucas....if I could double my salary by moving there, I would be very seriously tempted.

ksutton

Visit site
Just got to get you mind around the health care or have enough spare income to not have to worry about it. Would and could have done it 20 years ago if the price of health care had been sensibly priced.

Robin

Visit site
We are moving to Florida to live on our boat there, but I was looking at what to invest in maybe when we sell our house here, possibly a buy to let. I came across a Florida canal side home with it's own deepwater berth at the end of the garden, a 15 year old house, 5 bedrooms two car garage for $209,000 (about £133,000) and in reasonable nick but it is a 'bank' sale so I guess a repossession.

The people we bought our boat from bought a two bedroom two bathroom condo + garage in a smart area of St Augustine Florida for $110,000 two years ago, the original price before then was $210,000 and they reckoned back in July last year others in the same complex were selling for just $89,000 (about £56,000). This is what a property crash looks like over there.

We also met a family fishing on the local pier and got chatting about property prices. They lived in Orlando area and had three homes until two years ago two of which they let out but were mortgaged. They had problems with three mortgages so sold off one home for $200,000, letting one and living in the third. Last year the family who bought from them at $200,000 defaulted on the mortgage and the house was sold again by the bank as a repossession for just $50,000. It was bought by the brother of one of the people we were talking with, so gone full circle.

Now is surely a good time to buy there?

Sybarite

Visit site
We are moving to Florida to live on our boat there, but I was looking at what to invest in maybe when we sell our house here, possibly a buy to let. I came across a Florida canal side home with it's own deepwater berth at the end of the garden, a 15 year old house, 5 bedrooms two car garage for $209,000 (about £133,000) and in reasonable nick but it is a 'bank' sale so I guess a repossession.

The people we bought our boat from bought a two bedroom two bathroom condo + garage in a smart area of St Augustine Florida for $110,000 two years ago, the original price before then was $210,000 and they reckoned back in July last year others in the same complex were selling for just $89,000 (about £56,000). This is what a property crash looks like over there.

We also met a family fishing on the local pier and got chatting about property prices. They lived in Orlando area and had three homes until two years ago two of which they let out but were mortgaged. They had problems with three mortgages so sold off one home for $200,000, letting one and living in the third. Last year the family who bought from them at $200,000 defaulted on the mortgage and the house was sold again by the bank as a repossession for just $50,000. It was bought by the brother of one of the people we were talking with, so gone full circle.

Now is surely a good time to buy there?

I have a Canadian cousin whose speciality was taking over army bases and converting the homes for civilian use. About 6 or 7 years ago he was selling 4 bedroom houses for $ 25 000 Canadian. He retired at 48....

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Don't like that style of house. Overgrown garden shed with FAR too much maintenance. All that wood to keep on painting. No thank you.

About the only thing it has going for it is waterside location, but for that read risk of flooding.

And it's in the USA I would have to be desperate.

benjenbav

Visit site
Viz top tip: save $1,000 by buying the house and building lot separately ($449,000 +$225,000) rather than together ($675,000).

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Whoever commented on the painting and maintenance..........listen to them. My late dad had me scraping, filling sanding and painting places like that for........well, more summers than I care to remember..........and because of it, I will now pay someone else to do ANY painting jobs, that's ANYTHING that involves putting liquid onto surfaces for the purposes of preservation of said surface.....thanks Dad.....not.

NealB

Visit site
Whoever commented on the painting and maintenance..........listen to them. My late dad had me scraping, filling sanding and painting places like that for........well, more summers than I care to remember..........and because of it, I will now pay someone else to do ANY painting jobs, that's ANYTHING that involves putting liquid onto surfaces for the purposes of preservation of said surface.....thanks Dad.....not.

OK....Ok....you've all brought my rather absorbing, Twainesque, daydreaming down to earth with a bump.

I'm staying in Essex!

OGITD

Visit site
One of us who can should

And invite the rest of us all over for a many weeks summer vacation and / inc maintenance weekend, so that it’s a free sailing holiday for us, and all the maintenance is covered for him / her. :)

Just look upon it (us that is) as an overseas sailing club.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I wrote, quoting the Realtor's ad, to a sailing friend in nearby Boston.....

Ahhhh I can smell the Maine coast. Tenant's Harbor and St. George is the exact area where I went for quite a few weekends to work on the 1914 Rausch & Lang electric. Even here the old trucks and cars sat on cement blocks in the side yard or the front yard. You would buy a Toyota Toureg diesel pickup, somehow survive the winters, and live The Good Life. The photos are indeed wonderful. The winter cold goes right to the bones, the coastal rocks are very hard and unforgiving. You would need a travel budget to maintain sanity by going elsewhere in winters. Florida, an island someplace. One problem is that there are pockets of really serious money in that area, people who pay $1M and more for a nice piece of seacoast and then have a nice house built. UPS and FedEx do deliver there. The lobster fishermen squeak by in the winters, work long and dangerous hours in the summer, their boats sometimes don't return. There are retired millionaires plus, poor folk, everything inbetween. Don't get sick unless your private airfield is nearby. In St. George lies a Wyeth boat, all black, spoken of with great disparagement by the locals.

To bed.

Which reminds me.....

:cool:

Resolution

Visit site
Middle of nowhere?

Middle of no-where! (google map)

End of a peninsular, no large cities anywhere near by... Boston is 200 miles by road!

mjcp

Not really - more like an easy ten miles to Pennobscot Bay, which has to be one of the top five cruising grounds in the world. Quite fantastic in summer when the sun shines. As someone said above, just clear out for the winter.