Heartachingly beautiful house for sale in Maine!

SamSalter

Visit site
Here's a different perspective from a Brit who did move to N. America - admittedly it was to Canada, 30 years ago!
When I moved to Canada my salary literally doubled overnight, and I was well paid in England!
Cost of living and house prices were much lower, and in Canada Health care is like yours - so it's not an issue.
I'm retired now, sail my boat on the lake - when the ice melts in April. Pull it out in October when the snow starts. I'm just about to go sailing in Mexico for the next 10 days, and was in the BVi's just before Christmas sailing. I've sailed all over the east and west coast of America.
From what I see on the news and hear from my sister and eldest son in England, I'm well out of it. There is no way I would contemplate moving back to England - social behavior and crime seems out of control over there. I doubt America is any worse (unless you live in downtown LA or somewhere similar) And Americans (and Canadians) are real nice people. They only get odd when they start getting together in bunches and talking about politics and guns.
I personally think I probably live in one of the safest countries in the world!
I can see the rocky mountains from my living room window; I have deer in my garden (eating the plants); I pay 50 pound sterling for my car tax and nothing for a TV license. I live in Alberta which is about 4 times the size of Great Britain with a population of 3 million - lots of room to swing a cat and plenty of room on the roads.
I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to do it - the best move I ever made!
sam :)
(There - I feel better now!)

eagleswing

Visit site
maine...

the house is indeed lovely. i'd love to have the boat house and work room.

but add in $600 a month in heating costs , (and heating oil prices are already skyrocketing here in the USA... without more unrest in the middle east. ) then add in a lot of -20 degrees F and grey foggy days . then add in a lot of unmarked granite ledges that can rip your keel off in short order... add in a few nor'easter storms that have a storm surge of 30 feet, (enough to make the waterfront lot unbuildable) and some good all risk storm insurance for when not if it happens. and save enough $ to be able to leave for someplace warmer from dec thru march..

thanks, but i'll need to stay where i am for the next few decades.

knowing what one can get for $650K at other places on the eastern seaboard, i think this place is a bit overpriced. $400K for everything is a bit more realistic..

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
and some good all risk storm insurance for when not if it happens. and save enough $ to be able to leave for someplace warmer from dec thru march..

I believe that, even in Maine, insurance in the coastal areas is becoming hard to find, and, when available, very expensive. That's a beautiful house, but I wonder if the storm surge and insurance difficulties are being reflected in the price (when compared with UK prices fopr a house like that).

rotrax

Visit site
the house is indeed lovely. i'd love to have the boat house and work room.

but add in $600 a month in heating costs , (and heating oil prices are already skyrocketing here in the USA... without more unrest in the middle east. ) then add in a lot of -20 degrees F and grey foggy days . then add in a lot of unmarked granite ledges that can rip your keel off in short order... add in a few nor'easter storms that have a storm surge of 30 feet, (enough to make the waterfront lot unbuildable) and some good all risk storm insurance for when not if it happens. and save enough $ to be able to leave for someplace warmer from dec thru march..

thanks, but i'll need to stay where i am for the next few decades.

knowing what one can get for $650K at other places on the eastern seaboard, i think this place is a bit overpriced. $400K for everything is a bit more realistic..

Reminds me of the guy who bought a house like that in New York State in the summer from two spinster sisters. When the frost came and it got cold he realised it had no furnace or any fireplaces. He called the elder sister in the care home they were both living in and asked what they did to keep warm in the winter. "Why young man-we always went to Miami!"

Robin

Visit site
I believe that, even in Maine, insurance in the coastal areas is becoming hard to find, and, when available, very expensive. That's a beautiful house, but I wonder if the storm surge and insurance difficulties are being reflected in the price (when compared with UK prices fopr a house like that).

I doubt that has anything to do with it. Property prices in the USA are much lower than over here pretty well everywhere outside of places like New York City or Washington. One of SWMBO's kids bought a lovely 5 bedroom house with three car garage, all fitted appliances (dishwasher, stove, washer, dryer) fully carpeted, walk-in wardrobes we would class as bedrooms, you get the picture. Brand new home, 10mls from downtown Cincinnati Ohio and it cost $215,000 three years ago.

As I understand it, there are places in Florida where hurricane surge insurance cover is not available from the insurers but IS available via the state/government. I might be wrong but I believe it was some kind of dispute between the authorities and the insurers who basically went on strike. That said, we have hurricane and named storm insurance cover on our boat which is based in Florida which costs us an (optional) extra $800 per year for that unless we just cross into Georgia from June to November (about 130mls north) if a named nasty turns up.

alant

Visit site
Here's a different perspective from a Brit who did move to N. America - admittedly it was to Canada, 30 years ago!
When I moved to Canada my salary literally doubled overnight, and I was well paid in England!
Cost of living and house prices were much lower, and in Canada Health care is like yours - so it's not an issue.
I'm retired now, sail my boat on the lake - when the ice melts in April. Pull it out in October when the snow starts. I'm just about to go sailing in Mexico for the next 10 days, and was in the BVi's just before Christmas sailing. I've sailed all over the east and west coast of America.
From what I see on the news and hear from my sister and eldest son in England, I'm well out of it. There is no way I would contemplate moving back to England - social behavior and crime seems out of control over there. I doubt America is any worse (unless you live in downtown LA or somewhere similar) And Americans (and Canadians) are real nice people. They only get odd when they start getting together in bunches and talking about politics and guns.
I personally think I probably live in one of the safest countries in the world!
I can see the rocky mountains from my living room window; I have deer in my garden (eating the plants); I pay 50 pound sterling for my car tax and nothing for a TV license. I live in Alberta which is about 4 times the size of Great Britain with a population of 3 million - lots of room to swing a cat and plenty of room on the roads.
I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to do it - the best move I ever made!
sam :)
(There - I feel better now!)

Isn't Canada that place, where the cities look American, but are populated by the Swiss? ;)