Headlining repair / replace - How much? Any recommendations? South West

ricardo77

Visit site
I'm looking to replace the headlining in a Bene First 32 in Falmouth - could move to Plymouth. All 4 cabins. Just trying to get an idea of cost - has anyone had this done? And any recommendations for someone to do the job?
Thanks in advance!

harvey38

Visit site
If the original boards are in good condition and fairly easy to remove without dismantling the boat, it's an easy job with the right equipment and space to do it. Even though the boat is 250 miles away, I was able to transport the panels, recover them with products from CJ Marine and found it very satisfying.

ashtead

Visit site
You might find asking on a westerly owners website provides names as such yachts always need headliners replacing as the backing drops off. We did a panel in our Bav and I would say space is key -I guess price for work depends on if you remove and clean up boards and deliver on just want a chap to just do it etc. we ordered the vinyl type with foam backing and can of spray adhesive but maybe price depends also on type of headliner ,if you want to insulate more etc.

ricardo77

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. This job is a mix of boards (in the saloon) and mostly foam backed vinyl glued onto the bulkhead, which will need to be stripped off, surfaces cleaned and then replaced. A messy job with lots of fussy edges and awkward angles etc. I've never done before - before I go down the DIY route would like to know if someone could do professionally without bankrupting me!

ashtead

Visit site
I’m thinking removal of foam is quite labour intensive - I recall years ago the price for replacing Westerly headliners was high given boat value . If looking for someone who seems to have done most Westerly jobs why not PM Concerto or search his posts as he might be a source of a sole trader etc. personally I would do it in stages starting with say a bow cabin panel say . I am amazed there are no utube vids on topic?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for the replies. This job is a mix of boards (in the saloon) and mostly foam backed vinyl glued onto the bulkhead, which will need to be stripped off, surfaces cleaned and then replaced. A messy job with lots of fussy edges and awkward angles etc. I've never done before - before I go down the DIY route would like to know if someone could do professionally without bankrupting me!
Some 10 years ago a boat in the yard had their lining replaced professionally and did not have much change out of £3,000.

Stemar

Visit site
I’m thinking removal of foam is quite labour intensive
Which does make DIY for that bit a potential money saver.

It's a horrible job, though - take everything that you can, including cushions off the boat, and wear a decent dust mask. If you have to use solvent to get rid of the old glue, you'll need a proper vapour protection mask.

Supertramp

Visit site
Consider also whether you need to remove windows or portholes or other internal cabinetry. It can be time consuming and lead to more work. I don't know but I can imagine it being much more than £3000 due to labour.

Stemar

Visit site
I don't know if it would work on your boat, but I've seen some very nice jobs done with wooden slats either stuck directly or screwed to battens fixed with epoxy or No More Nails. Too much double curvature's a bit of a killer for that, though.

PeterV

Visit site
It cost me £850 to do the complete interior of my Westerly GK29. As said earlier, the ply panels are very easy to do at home.

Concerto

Visit site
To replace foam backed headlining is not difficult, just messy and time consuming. This presentation on how I replaced the complete forecabin on my Fulmar is worth looking at - and I had no plywood panels to make the job easier.

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/1/17/Vinyl_Headling_Concerto_PowerPoint.pdf

Foam backed vinyl is available from Hawke House or HMS Marine Supplies.

Foam Backed Vinyl Headlining | Hawke House
Foamback Headlining

One tip that I did not include in my presentation is the use of a contact adhesive on the substrate of plywood or glassfibre, along with the spray tack adhesive on the foam allows some limited time to reposition the headlining.

The cost of employing someone to change headlining can be very expensive. Think cost of materials plus labour of £2,000 to £3,000 if local or allowing them to stay on your boat if travelling some distance.

Refueler

Visit site
Having used Van Lining - I would never go back to foam backed vinyl !

I have to admit - I do line white panels with natural timber battens ... but unless backed by insulation - can lead to a lot of condensation ...

harvey38

Visit site
If you do it yourself, 4mm stainless staples in a pneumatic stapler after using a decent contact adhesive makes sure everything stays in place ✔

Refueler

Visit site
+1 for 4 way van carpet. “Easy” DIY job, with neat results. Not wipe-able tho’. Varying quality of carpet; https://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/. are good. Avoid cheaper eBay suppliers.

I bought 20sqm + box of 10 Spray adhesive incl from eBay ....

CAMPER VAN CAR CARPET LINING 4 way stretch VW T 6 5 TRIM TRANSIT RACE DAY 20sqm | eBay

Was one of the cheapest sellers ... and has proven to be excellent ...

I would ask what makes you state "Avoid cheaper eBay suppliers" ?? Because my observation and personal experience says that's not correct.

As to wipe-able ? Mine certainly is and if its more than that - then a quick spray carpet cleaner will sort ..

laika

Visit site
had rojer nantais replace all mine, it almost put him off he said as lots of headlining for a small boat

he might still do it.
Roger was certainly still trading the year before last. He sorted out an issue with the headlining in my heads. He'd done the whole boat 10 years previously, only issue was with that bit and 10 years is reasonable. Reliable, reasonable rates and for a job like that rather him with the pro gear than me. IIRC he was based near lymington.