Have you found the perfect flat screen TV for the boat?

kcrane

Visit site
I've started looking for a new LCD for the boat, both as the screen for the PC and as a TV. It dawned on me someone might have already found it, the one that :

* Has around a 17in to 19in screen
* Expects to runs on 12V but isn't too fussy
* Has built in Freeview tuner
* Has a fair few connections (PC, Aerial, audio-in, component etc)
* Has a good resolution for PC use, 1024*768 minimum
* Will fix to a VESA standard bracket
* Has built in speakers

It might even have a good TV picture, built in DVD player and be readily available <g>

Anyone already found the perfect screen?

Habebty

Visit site
If I lived aboard Iwould probably think about looking for a small but useful flatscreen, but I make do with a little 7" portable DVD player for when there isn't much on the radio and I have read all my books It has a tv tuner with crap picture but ok for news and anything urgent.

Forget the TV, get a dvd and just watch the occasional film and escape from all the crap soaps, and other rubbish on the box.

kcrane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the Broadblue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew, a thread in itself!

Short answer is that we think it was the best option for reasons that are important to us, mostly sheer practicality.

Long answer, some of which applies to cats generally as well as BB:

1. Very safe and secure feel to sailing it. We are not hardened sailors yet 25knt to 30knt winds do not put us off sailing (tho they do put us off berthing).
2. Weather just isn't an issue. The deep, secure, flat and sheltered cockpit means we sail in a thin fleece when we are passing folks in full oilies.
3. Sail flat. I can't emphasise enough what a difference this makes to a family making a 12 hr passage.
4. Space. 4 to 6 of us sail on it. Last year 3 weeks was the maximum (France and Channel Islands). No issue with storage, space, comfort or privacy.
5. Speed. It isn't out and out fast, but it is easy to do a steady 7 to 8knts without any fancy tweaking.
6. Manouverability. Two engines, widely spaced hulls. Spins on the spot.
7. The dealers - Multihull World. I thought they were helpful, friendly and enthuisiastic, but not perfect. From what I now hear about other dealers/brokers, they're angels.
8. Build strength. Solid GRP hulls (maybe overweight by cat standards). Port hull side hit by a Contest's anchor last year, huge thump, boat rocked. Struggled to find a mark on the gelcoat.

Downsides?
1) Not very attractive to my eyes, even against other cats
2) Quality of finish. Workmanlike, nothing has broken, but not exactly Malo-like. Better than other makes of cats I've seen, but still...
3) Tendency to blow around at low speeds (below 1-2knts) same as a motor boat. Wouldn't try getting into small gaps in a blow, tho others seem to manage.

kcrane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The model is called Dmtech LU20XT / LM20XT Flat Panel TV but on the Dixons web site they say that "once they are gone, they are gone" I have no idea if a better mdel is coming along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that suggestion - and that's close - but the screen resolution is only 640 x 480, OK for TV, no use as a PC monitor. They also do a 17in one, with reasonable resolution, but no Freeview. Must be a new model coming with right spec, hopefully /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sy-Revolution

Visit site

kcrane

Visit site
You are right, RECUSANT2, that hits spec.

About £500 for the 19in one, but I can't see anyone with stock. I'll e-mail a couple of suppliers and see what they say.

Screen size: 19in
Screen type: 16:9
Brightness: 500:1
Sound: Nicam
Built in digital terrestrial tuner: Yes
Pixel Resolution: 1440X900
Contrast ratio: 700:1
Auto set up: Yes
Fastext: Yes
DVD: Built in DVD
Power: 12v

waterboy

Visit site
I use a 19" Toshiba running on 12 volts, but I do run it on a stabilized 12V supply using an inverter and a transformer as I am not too sure how it would cope with the varieties of boat DC. It takes a pc output, has a built-in freeview but I do play DVDs on it via a Sony car radio/CD & DVD combo player. It seems to work OK other than DVD sound comes out via the boat's HiFi speakers which are in the wrong position for the tv.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
VOLTAGE WARNING

Flat LCD screens are very vulnerable to over voltage, and will not survive the normal charging regime on a boat where you could get up to 15V on the initial phase. - I think they are vulnerable over 13 V.

see this link for info and product - scroll to bottom of page Here

kcrane

Visit site
Yep, I recognise that set-up, we have the separate Sony DVD player and a separate Freeview box. It works after a fashion, but is a rat's nest of cables behind the panel and a pile of controllers in front. We also have remote control panels for the Sony, which makes it even more confusing to work out why the sound is 1 sec out of sync and only audible in the aft heads!

One supplier of the Avtex is 12v-caravan-tv and they say the page will be updated when they get the 17in and 19in models.

http://www.12v-caravan-tv.co.uk/news.asp

kcrane

Visit site
Re: VOLTAGE WARNING

[ QUOTE ]
Flat LCD screens are very vulnerable to over voltage, and will not survive the normal charging regime on a boat

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning - as the wiring is hidden I could plumb one of those in easily enough.

boatmike

Visit site

Good point that, check overvoltage tolerance if running off batteries and charging at the same time. Spec of TV should give max min. Worth checking before buying.

kcrane

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought that the Avtex would be able to handle voltage fluctuations as the're designed for campers and caravans etc......boat's no different, just got no wheels.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough that was my next question "Has anyone fitted wheels to a BroadBlue and which ones did you choose?"

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kcrane

Visit site

Have asked friendly guy at Caravan TV and he says he doesn't know of a good alternative to Avtex, they're the ones with an eye on our market