Has this forum had its day ?

aquatom

Visit site
I've been on since 2002 and must agree, I do not log on so often now, fed up of been told I no nothing about boat electrics after 40 years designing and supplying charging systems and switch panels. We seem to live in world were people have read something and that is it, right or wrong any facts to the contrary do not count.

Brian
I completely agree. I have been working with Volvo Penta for about 25 years now. I used to comment on posts in the past but only if I really had some useful input. I don’t bother any more as one well informed reply gets lost between all the “I don’t have a the same engine as yours but when my car wouldn’t start I changed the spark plugs” kind of replys!
I just read what’s going on now and dont comment.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I completely agree. I have been working with Volvo Penta for about 25 years now. I used to comment on posts in the past but only if I really had some useful input. I don’t bother any more as one well informed reply gets lost between all the “I don’t have a the same engine as yours but when my car wouldn’t start I changed the spark plugs” kind of replys!
I just read what’s going on now and dont comment.
That's a real shame as I really rated your comments (likewise VolvoPaul, Spannerman and other professionals) and suspect others do too.

But I know where you're coming from, someone recently asked on Facebook where to get Fairline decals from. My advice is simple, get them from direct from the OEM supplier who will give you exactly what is required and won't charge a fortune. Despite that, people still suggest all sorts of bizarre solutions.

Anyhow, I hope that you'll reconsider giving occasional advice, particularly to those of us that like to put in more than we take out.

Portofino

Visit site
That's a real shame as I really rated your comments (likewise VolvoPaul, Spannerman and other professionals) and suspect others do too.

But I know where you're coming from, someone recently asked on Facebook where to get Fairline decals from. My advice is simple, get them from direct from the OEM supplier who will give you exactly what is required and won't charge a fortune. Despite that, people still suggest all sorts of bizarre solutions.

Anyhow, I hope that you'll reconsider giving occasional advice, particularly to those of us that like to put in more than we take out.
Agree with PetesM here , but a particular annoyance with mechanical/ electrical fault finding threads is the way info is drip feed in .Not sure wether it’s accidental info missed ( due to ignorance) or deliberate .
I know one has to see it through the OP s eyes in a if they knew what they were talking about they wouldn’t be asking kinda way .
Its always difficult when given a narrow snap shot to read from an armchair and give advice back without a physical examination.
Soon feels a waste of time .

example with a rev restriction issue you find out 5/6 posts in “ I changed the filters recently because I had the diesel bug and they were black / solid “
The suggestion to revisit filtration is summarily dismissed or ridiculed .

Advantage

Visit site
I have been on this forum for around 12 years now, although I don't visit or post as much as I used to.
About 5 and half hours ago I posted requesting some advice on a bow thruster issue and got one response ( thanks VAS) at the same time I copied and posted the same on facebook and have a much
better response with detailed tests to carry out and even offers to come and have a look.

Maybe this forum has outlived its usefulness?

SpottyDog, what groups on Facebook do you like for similar content?

SpottyDog5

Visit site
SpottyDog, what groups on Facebook do you like for similar content?
There are are quite a few I follow, but I just posted on my home page, fortunately I have a number of FB buddies into boating.
This forum was great for meeting new people, the beer and matter evening were great.