Has anyone renewed there inboard engine recently?

paris

Visit site
I have the original Bukh dv20 in my yacht (28ft) and when it’s running it’s a sweet unit that pushes us along fine.

however due to its age I’m wanting to budget for replacement engine, what would people recommend fitting and does anyone know a rough cost of buying say a 20hp engine? I would most probably fit myself.

gregcope

Visit site
Recently had fitted a Beta 30. Budget wise “it depends” if you need exhaust etc…

Would recommend Beta. Well thought through designs. Eg Sump pump and service items on the front of the engine. There are other benefits.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have the original Bukh dv20 in my yacht (28ft) and when it’s running it’s a sweet unit that pushes us along fine.

however due to its age I’m wanting to budget for replacement engine, what would people recommend fitting and does anyone know a rough cost of buying say a 20hp engine? I would most probably fit myself.
Why, oh why, are you thinking about replacing something that is running as sweet as a nut?

If you have money to splash about my paypal account is ...

wingcommander

Visit site
Similar circumstances. 38years young Bukh 24 . I have had boat 2 years , each faultless passage installs more and more confidence. I've given her new shoes and new exhaust, two good acid flushes , tweaked my thermostat and two oil / filter changes...decided to keep until death do us part.

I am now touching wood.

jamie N

Visit site
I'd reckon that if you're capable of fitting a 'new' engine yourself, then you'd be more than capable of fixing any issues that your current engine has, that prevent it from running "sweet" all of the time.
Better the devil that you know and all of that.

Tranona

Visit site
Just fitted a Beta 30. A 20 or possibly 25 depending on how heavy your boat is would be a good replacement. However as said why replace? The decision depends on two things - how clapped is your existing engine and then how long do you intend keeping the boat as it does not add immediate value anywhere near the cost so you have to think it terms of longer term benefit to you. Cost by the time you replace all the old ancillaries, new propeller and professional fitting (2k) is close to £10k minus maybe £1k for your old engine. Engine prices have shot up 20-30% in the last 2 years. What you get is a smaller, quieter, smoother installation.

Tranona

Visit site
But if properly installed, you don't need to "know" anything. Press the green button and it goes, red button and it stops. If cold press the brown button for 10 seconds first.

Just like a modern car

paris

Visit site
Just fitted a Beta 30. A 20 or possibly 25 depending on how heavy your boat is would be a good replacement. However as said why replace? The decision depends on two things - how clapped is your existing engine and then how long do you intend keeping the boat as it does not add immediate value anywhere near the cost so you have to think it terms of longer term benefit to you. Cost by the time you replace all the old ancillaries, new propeller and professional fitting (2k) is close to £10k minus maybe £1k for your old engine. Engine prices have shot up 20-30% in the last 2 years. What you get is a smaller, quieter, smoother installation.

I don’t intend on selling the boat for many years, just want to future proof her in case we have a big issue one day.

paris

Visit site
I'd reckon that if you're capable of fitting a 'new' engine yourself, then you'd be more than capable of fixing any issues that your current engine has, that prevent it from running "sweet" all of the time.

Cheers, I’ve got a slight fueling/bogging down issue when sometimes it’s idles which once I’ve sorted will make it sweet again, just think it would be prudent to look at the possibility of upgrading one day as I intend on keeping the boat

doug748

Visit site

My guess is that a new basic Beta 20 would be around 6k, just a guess though. If you ring Beta sales they will give you a rough figure right away - you can always negotiate later.
If your engine set up is original there could be a lot of extras to add, don't underestimate this.

Supertramp

Visit site
If it runs well, doesn't leak water or oil, all the routine maintenance and associated cleaning is done annually you should keep it.

If it has a fuelling problem after you have cleaned and changed filters consult an engineer or Bukh owners group.

As others have said, the devil is in the ancillaries when replacing.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have just rebuilt a Perkins 4 236 much bigger than yours

No need to replace unless going up in size have it rebuilt id it gives problems

Its mainly the fueling that cause issues with Diesel engines so you could have the injectors checked and maybe the injection pump services and recalibrated

Keep fuel clean and ensure the are no air leaking into the fuel system

This is what I did with an old Leyland truck engine in my current boat

paris

Visit site
I have just rebuilt a Perkins 4 236 much bigger than yours

No need to replace unless going up in size have it rebuilt id it gives problems

Its mainly the fueling that cause issues with Diesel engines so you could have the injectors checked and maybe the injection pump services and recalibrated

Keep fuel clean and ensure the are no air leaking into the fuel system

This is what I did with an old Leyland truck engine in my current boat

I suspect it could be a sticking governer, all filters and lines are new, I get injectors and pump checked first tho.

paris

Visit site
If it runs well, doesn't leak water or oil, all the routine maintenance and associated cleaning is done annually you should keep it.

If it has a fuelling problem after you have cleaned and changed filters consult an engineer or Bukh owners group.

As others have said, the devil is in the ancillaries when replacing.

The previous owner spent a few thousand on it a few years ago but it’s been laid up a year and I don’t think it’s helped this issue, only and idling problem really as once it’s running it purrs along.

Changed filters, will rig it up to run on land and check what others have mentioned.

penfold

Visit site
Regardless of the wisdom of replacing the existing unit, the easiest and cheapest repower is a low hours ex-lifeboat DV24 and a suitable propellor; every other aspect of your installation can stay the same, so no mucking about with engine beds, etc.