Has anyone bought a "Rocna-style" anchor?

PaulGS

Visit site
Okay, I've got my tin hat on for this one! I'm thinking of replacing my CQR and wonder if anyone out there has actually bought (and deployed) a Rocna copy? There are two available online: very similar except one has a more robust-looking shaft; the other has neater-looking (FWIW) welds. I've read the old threads - I'm looking for first-person experience.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
About 10 - 15 years ago Rocna moved production to China and for unknown reasons specified a far softer steel for the shank. Within a very short time pictures of bent shanks appeared on the Internet, ultimately leading to the demise of the original company. The stronger shanks were reinstated with no further bending.

Holding with bent shanks was known to be an order of magnitude worse than with straight ones. You can guarantee that a Rocna copy will have a soft shank.

Neeves

Visit site
You are unlikely to get useful first person experience on use of a copy Rocna. I assume someone has actually bought one but I've actually never heard of anyone buying a copy

Don't waste your time.

Over the life of a genuine Rocna, or other genuine quality anchor, the cost vs nights at anchor is peanuts (and owners sleep soundly). What more do you want?

Are you really going to sleep soundly knowing you bought a cheap copy - just conjure in your mind... why is it cheap?

How, precisely, can you determine that the shank is robust simply by looking at an image. If the shank is beefy it will reduce the ability of the anchor to set deeply. Rocna has a thin shank to overcome the resistance of a beefy shank to setting deeply - thin shanks need to have a high tensile strength - and you cannot quantify tensile strength by looking.

Jonathan

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
Again, I suspect that you will probably not find anyone willing to admit to having a copy. Could be worth it for light use, perhaps day sailing or fishing over dodgy ground or maybe if you are considering selling in the near future.
Personally, I would consider a Delta for only a few quid more, even less used.

BTW did you sort out the Beta/Technodrive issue? Give me a PM or post on the original thread if you don't want to derail this one:

Technodrive TMC40M clutch slipping?

Minerva

Visit site
I like to anchor in nice, quiet remote places. In doing so, I like to have a relaxing afternoon & evening & I'll do that around 40 nights a year.

Spreading the cost of the anchor over 5 seasons, the price differential might be around £1 a night between the fake copy and the proper job.

Question becomes, is a good nights sleep worth more than, or less than a pound a night?

Neeves

Visit site
I wonder how many on here have Chinese heaters? Or don't have certified anchor chain? or anchor swivels? of brass skin fittings?.....

You could use the same argument for just about anything.
Except that:

if you move the location of the fluke shank interface, shorten or lengthen the shank, change the ballast in the toe, save a bit of money by building the fluke from thinner metal - you will alter the performance of the anchor. Your, or the copy, looks the same but, apparently, minor differences can have a major impact on performance.

The original has been tested independently - not so the copy

if you buy a copy you have no idea if your, copy, anchor has compromised performance - until it does not perform.

and for 1 pound per night it’s simply not worth the anguish.

I cannot comment on the merits and morals of buying Chinese heaters - we,did not have heater, I developed a Boomerang and made the design ‘open source’ to encourage people not,to,use swivels, all our skin fittings were plastic. I post,here on snubbers - and bore people to death - as if,one new person converts - I’d be happy. If you ask your chandler he will have a certificate of conformity for chain, it would be standard practice to have this as part of the shipping documents.

There are many good anchors - some are cheaper than a genuine Rocna - you don’t need to buy a copy.

Jonathan

edit - some anchors and other products underline that the supplier has no idea of the essential characteristics - but I hesitate to post. Again I cannot comment on Chinese heaters, nor people who buy chain from nefarious sources.

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
I think the most copied anchors were the original Bugel anchors, they were easy to make, i made a small one from an old Danforth anchor, cutting and welding it, some one else on here did the same, we both posted pictures at the time, there were lots of copies for sale in Greece, i still think Bugel really started the ball rolling for new generation anchors and things have moved on.

PaulGS

Visit site
I have a Channel anchor (Rocna copy). It sets first time and pulls up hard. Never dragged, no bent shanks, a damn sight stronger than the old Delta.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I saw that one; shank looked (fwiw - see above!) flimsier - shaft the same width along its whole length.

Bobc

Visit site
Except that:

if you move the location of the fluke shank interface, shorten or lengthen the shank, change the ballast in the toe, save a bit of money by building the fluke from thinner metal - you will alter the performance of the anchor. Your, or the copy, looks the same but, apparently, minor differences can have a major impact on performance.

The original has been tested independently - not so the copy

if you buy a copy you have no idea if your, copy, anchor has compromised performance - until it does not perform.

and for 1 pound per night it’s simply not worth the anguish.

I cannot comment on the merits and morals of buying Chinese heaters - we,did not have heater, I developed a Boomerang and made the design ‘open source’ to encourage people not,to,use swivels, all our skin fittings were plastic. I post,here on snubbers - and bore people to death - as if,one new person converts - I’d be happy. If you ask your chandler he will have a certificate of conformity for chain, it would be standard practice to have this as part of the shipping documents.

There are many good anchors - some are cheaper than a genuine Rocna - you don’t need to buy a copy.

Jonathan

edit - some anchors and other products underline that the supplier has no idea of the essential characteristics - but I hesitate to post. Again I cannot comment on Chinese heaters, nor people who buy chain from nefarious sources.
All I can tell you is that the one I have is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, and the only problem I've had with it is getting it out on occasions.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Okay, I've got my tin hat on for this one! I'm thinking of replacing my CQR and wonder if anyone out there has actually bought (and deployed) a Rocna copy? There are two available online: very similar except one has a more robust-looking shaft; the other has neater-looking (FWIW) welds. I've read the old threads - I'm looking for first-person experience.
Very pleased with my Knox. UK made.

PaulGS

Visit site
May I ask why?

If it is a genuine CQR, have you had problems with it?
Fair question. I've had no problems, and the anchor came with the boat after being used all over the west coast of Scotland for 25 years before me. But I'm a sucker for marketing (anchors classified as 1st generation; 2nd generation, etc.). I suspect that almost any anchor will be fine in situations we choose; it's how they do when we're surprised that counts.