Handheld VHF

oldbloke

Visit site
I need to buy an additional handheld vhf, nothing fancy, just for using in the dinghy, in the harbour. The Internet shows a number of (much cheaper) unfamiliar brands, such as Retevis. Does anyone use these and are they any good?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Don’t know if Retevis make marine radios.

Not every country has adopted the same set of vhf channels. Make sure whatever you go for is designed and approved for use in the uk, and that you can select any /all of the uk marine vhf channels.

oldbloke

Visit site
What do you call cheap?
Retevis marine vhf low end price seems to be about the same price as Cobra HH 150 or Plastimo SX 350 at around the £80 mark.

You're not wrong.On further looking the bottom end sets from mainstream makers seem to have improved a lot. Last time I went through this process they were low power and not plug in to recharge.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
In a rowboat in the harbour I want a handheld VHF with DSC. Costs more, might as well buy a reputable brand, but in case of emergency just hit the button.

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
As a counter view do you want to consider weight and size. I do have the standard horizon dsc on board but for the dinghy I tend to take the smaller lighter old icom -m31 I think in a 3m type blow up version - guess it depends on size/nature of dinghy though and storage etc.

dancrane

Visit site
Slight thread drift, born of almost total ignorance.

I know people are dismissive of handheld VHF for anything but short range use. Despite passing the exam, I will happily never use any VHF if I can avoid it, aside from keeping my ears open to others in need of help.

Towards a practical, economical and responsible minimal approach, do any manufacturers offer a handheld which when required, can supplement its operating range by being wired to a fixed arial?

Grumpydev

Visit site
Slight thread drift, born of almost total ignorance.

I know people are dismissive of handheld VHF for anything but short range use. Despite passing the exam, I will happily never use any VHF if I can avoid it, aside from keeping my ears open to others in need of help.

Towards a practical, economical and responsible minimal approach, do any manufacturers offer a handheld which when required, can supplement its operating range by being wired to a fixed arial?
I imagine most can, I have a cheap Standard Horizon HX300E I picked up for about £60 2nd hand, and that can have the stubby antenna unscrewed and a boat antenna screwed in with a small adapter.

Alicatt

Visit site
Yeah, mine floats with light. I thought it was a gimmick until I dropped it in.
I was on the Maersk Seville in Zeebrugge a good while ago as a guest of the Captain, they were conducting launch and recovery drills with the lifeboat when the skipper of the lifeboat stumbled and dropped his handheld overboard, never to be seen again. I was on the bridge at the time watching and photographing the trial, the skipper got a bit of a dressing down from the Master!