handheld vhf

Pacofan

Visit site
Looking for a handheld for my little boat. I don't need anything too fancy just to hear race officers, and to call for help should it be required. Advise or reccomendations please.

Norman_E

Visit site
Standard Horizon HX280e, costs a little under £100 but is good quality. I have the older HX270e model which is excellent and has a battery that holds its charge even when left over winter. There are cheaper handheld VHFs available, but I regard one as an essential piece of safety kit, and the SH models always seem to to come out with top recommendations in tests.

Dazedkipper

Visit site
I sought the forum's opinion last year on this, came down to the Standard horizon 280 or Icom M33. I went for the icom as it was a better deal, nothing to choose between sets though.

bbg

Visit site
IMHO, you should look for something waterproof, and with a Li-Ion battery. I went for a Cobra based on price and I'm certainly not disappointed with battery life. SH and ICOM also have good reputations.

mikehibb

Visit site
My vote is for the Icom M33, however think that the latest version is now the M35 (not sure if you can still buy the M33 new)

Waterproof, Li-Ion Battery AND it floats.

Seajet

Visit site
I have a Silva S12, waterproof but non-floaty; while it takes knocks etc and has proven rugged, I have never come across a bit of kit with less 'intuitive', distinctly user UNfriendly controls !

My fault for not trying before buying, something I'd recommend very strongly.

As I say the Silva has proven rugged, but I would only buy it again if at an ultra - bargain price.

Do try sets first !

RobF

Visit site
HX280e came out as one of the best buys in a recent PBO test. I bought one as a result and am v happy with it. The only downside is that it doesn't float, but can always attach it to one of those balloon keyring lanyard things if that's important to you.

monkfish24

Visit site
IMHO, you should look for something waterproof, and with a Li-Ion battery. I went for a Cobra based on price and I'm certainly not disappointed with battery life. SH and ICOM also have good reputations.

+1 this one, I've got one and it's perfect for a small boat, normally comes out on the sailing dinghy with me and have never had a problem wiht battery life