Handheld GPS

rex_seadog

Visit site
Am looking for an inexpensive handheld GPS such as the Garmin 12. One supplier recommended the MLR SP24 as an alternative worth considering. Does anyone have any experience of this brand/model or indeed any other suggestions?

G

I got the MLR SP24XC Recently, and am very happy with it. I also downloaded OziExplorer to use with it, and the pair work very well with it.
It's very easy to enter waypoints in manually and to then create routes from those waypoints.
The system of three different 'levels' seemed confusing at first, but with use very quickly becomes very simple to operate.
My only complaint is that when I bought the CD Rom with the psudo charts and data lead, it cost what I consider to be a lot. And there is no option of buying the same cdrom with the lead which does both power and data, you have to buy it separately, another load of money, so I modified the data only lead which came with the CD, and now I have what I need.
If you are planning on getting the SP24, I'd advise spending the extra £20 and get the SP24XC.
Dawson

ChrisP

Visit site
My daughter has a waterproof hand held garmin (Garry the Garmin) This summer it was the only GPS on the boat to survive the Channel crossing (see Pauline B MBY Forum). Admittedly Garry gave up the ghost a week later but has been replaced by MMS and all is well again.