hand bearing compass

deep denial

Visit site
my Iris 50 compass is effectively unusable due to its terrible damping - the reading swings wildly from side to side even in calm conditions. Frustratingly the yachting World review from a couple of years ago fails to consider damping, which seems to me to be the most important aspect. does anyone have a view on the comparative damping of different models available? thanks

Minerva

Visit site
Do you have any magnetic interference when you're using your iris? I've used one for years (probably 20 years old now!) and whilst it swings when you put it to your eye, it invariably settles after a second or two - Certainly I've never struggled with getting a bearing.

Bilgediver

Visit site
my Iris 50 compass is effectively unusable due to its terrible damping - the reading swings wildly from side to side even in calm conditions. Frustratingly the yachting World review from a couple of years ago fails to consider damping, which seems to me to be the most important aspect. does anyone have a view on the comparative damping of different models available? thanks
Is it fluid damped and is the fluid in there? Does it perform when away from the boat.

noelex

Visit site
You need to be careful if you wear glasses. Many frames have some magnetic component. Even if only slightly magnetic this is very close to an eye level hand bearing compass when in use so it has a significant effect.

The best hand bearing compass I have used is the old Autohelm personal compass. It has been out of production for a long time, but they occasionally come up for sale second hand. They seem to last forever.

richard77777

Visit site
I've used one for about 10 years, (albeit in fairly benign conditions usually), and not had this problem. It always settles quickly and then remains steady.

Minerva

Visit site
You need to be careful if you wear glasses. Many frames have some magnetic component. Even if only slightly magnetic this is very close to an eye level hand bearing compass when in use so it has a significant effect.

The best hand bearing compass I have used is the old Autohelm personal compass. It has been out of production for a long time, but they occasionally come up for sale second hand. They seem to last forever.
This sounds like a really good point!

deep denial

Visit site
Do you have any magnetic interference when you're using your iris? I've used one for years (probably 20 years old now!) and whilst it swings when you put it to your eye, it invariably settles after a second or two - Certainly I've never struggled with getting a bearing.
no, no interference. It doesn't settle after a second or two. The fluid is still there, but I suspect it has just got old. Certainly all the other compasses I've used have not been a problem

B27

Visit site
Another possibility is that the compass has become partially de-magnetised?

There must be tens of thousands of those compasses about, most people find them OK, so it's either the OP's technique, the circumstances where he's using it, or that individual compass is faulty.

Just possibly, something like this giving you the run-around is a hint that your eyes need testing. I say that quite seriously with no wish to offend!

KevinV

Visit site
Well said - I similarly discovered that my vape was magnetic enough to affect the bulkhead compass from about 50cm away 😳

William_H

Visit site
Interesting thought re loss of magnetism of needles in compass card. It seems to me one my remagnetise the needles with a coil around the compss. Get some enamel wire perhaps from an old transformer or a reel of hook up wire and make as many turns as possible on a former of cardboard that the compass can slip into.
Connect the coil to a car battery. A momentary flash should do the job (say a second) to let needle align itself with magnetic field.
Now I have never heard of this being done but why not? Especially if op thinks his compass is for the bin anyway. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
Interesting thought re loss of magnetism of needles in compass card. It seems to me one my remagnetise the needles with a coil around the compss. Get some enamel wire perhaps from an old transformer or a reel of hook up wire and make as many turns as possible on a former of cardboard that the compass can slip into.
Connect the coil to a car battery. A momentary flash should do the job (say a second) to let needle align itself with magnetic field.
Now I have never heard of this being done but why not? Especially if op thinks his compass is for the bin anyway. ol'will

Re-magnetise a compass is easy and plenty online info to do it ... BUT note that polarity can reverse if you get the orientation of magnet wrong ... so you just swap round and do it again !!

If you do do it ... then of course Deviation table is needed to be remade.

shanemax

Visit site
Hand bearing compass is great fun on a calm day , sharp pencil, chart, parallel ruler, cup of coffee, but I am kinda glad we have satellites

Plum

Visit site
If I had to buy a new hand bearing compass I would buy another Iris 50. I find the damping to be very good and mine is still working after 20ish years.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

lydiamight

Visit site
Best hand bearing compass I have is on my iPhone. Not only does it show you the compass but also shows your Lat/Long, it also shows you your elevation. I agree the latter is not a lot of use on a boat

wonkywinch

Visit site
Last edited: