Halyard questions

KevinV

Visit site
So, having rewired the mast, sorted out the mess at the masthead, and mostly done the rigging it's time to wash/check /replace the halyards.

Taking them off there are different kinds of ropes, shackles, knots, etc.
Particularly the use of three strand raised an eyebrow - I can sort of see that a bit of elasticity in the topping lift might be useful, but in a genoa halyard??

I can also see that not everyone can do a splice, but there are three different knots - which is best? Also the hard eye on the topping lift makes sense to me, even if it's noisy, but why on the second genoa halyard?

Then shackles - I like the half-turn ones for the mainsheet, and snap-shackles for the spinnaker, but the range here is going to baffle any inexperienced crew.

So, here they are:
IMG-20230430-WA0000.jpg
From top to bottom:
Spinnaker halyard
1st genoa halyard
Topping lift
2nd genoa halyard
Main halyard
Spinnaker pole uphaul

Secondary question - why the loop at the end? Is it to put over a cleat (there are lots of cleats) to stop the halyard running away if caught by the wind when loose?
IMG-20230430-WA0001.jpg

Noob questions I know, but I've always sailed other people's yachts and just worked with what was there 🤷‍♂️

johnalison

Visit site
I’m a fan of the halyard knot but the version that came with my then new boat was tied with the tail taken back through the loops alongside the standing part.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I’m a fan of the halyard knot but the version that came with my then new boat was tied with the tail taken back through the loops alongside the standing part.
Like this. It's how I tie mine, but with three turns.
halyard-hitch.jpg

William_H

Visit site
On my little boat for jib and spinaker halyard I just have a plain end on the rope. It is attached to the jib or spinaker with a bow line. (jib is hank on) What this means is that every time the halyard is connected the knot is ina different place so wear of halyard at sheaves up the mast is ina different palce so increasing life of halyard. Plus saves weight of shackles up the mast. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
I removed the shackle previous owner used with the main halyard - it added a short length and stopped the main being hauled up taut ... I just use a plain end made fast to mainsail head now.
Similarly I removed metalwork from genny sheets - previously I liked the snap swivel similar to OP's top line ... but after having it whack me - I decided soft rope was better !!
My Spinny halyard is plain end as well ...

I am not a user of the halyard hitch as I prefer a non tightening hitch that I can easily undo when needed.