Guardrails?

jamie N

Visit site
Stakkr, my 50 yr old Folkboat doesn't have guardrails or stanchions fitted, and I feel quite happy about this. My logic is that in the years that I've sailed on keelboats, they've always either tripped me up, or caused me to stub my toes, or nearly overbalance and go over the side, to the point that I do reckon that (on a Folkboat) they're positively a threat to safety!
Any others of the same mind, or am I dangerously deluded?

PhillM

Visit site
Stakkr, my 50 yr old Folkboat doesn't have guardrails or stanchions fitted, and I feel quite happy about this. My logic is that in the years that I've sailed on keelboats, they've always either tripped me up, or caused me to stub my toes, or nearly overbalance and go over the side, to the point that I do reckon that (on a Folkboat) they're positively a threat to safety!

+1 my Cheverton doesn't either. Nor do a lot of the classic boats that race around the Solent in various regattas.

Visit site
I thought about adding then to my 3-Tonner when I bought her, but then decided they'd actually make her less safe -- not only for the reasons you mention, but because of the false sense of security they carry with them.

Of course, if you have kids or dogs aboard then you need them to lash netting to.

Mike

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I think that they are dangerous and spoil the look of proper boats. Decent gunwales are all that's needed.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I owned a sixty year old Folkboat for a while. She came to me with pulpit, pushpit and guard rail wires. The current owner has taken the lot off and she looks much better for it. The only downside that I can see is the lack of a sensible place to mount nav lights.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I owned a sixty year old Folkboat for a while. She came to me with pulpit, pushpit and guard rail wires. The current owner has taken the lot off and she looks much better for it. The only downside that I can see is the lack of a sensible place to mount nav lights.

Nav lights on the shrouds work for me and others.
9f8f20da3a3fa06a4adb5039e46c5d63_zps6ec7e681.jpg

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I have recently removed the stanchions on my Finesse as it looks so much nicer and in keeping. The station bases still need to be removed and the deck repaired where stanchions have been used for leverage in the past, it remains to be seen how much water has go into the deck, fingers crossed.

I have retained the pulpuit and the pushpit for the moment but there is a pretty decent chance the pushput will also now go.

Like you I think that they often cause as many problems as they cure.

Old Rhodie

Visit site
Yes - I removed them from my Trintella 29 - she looks much better and I don't have the pain of stepping over them onto pontoons. ( That alone makes it worth doing.)
I do however, have central, high jackstays.

Niander

Visit site
Nice to see the old boat mate!
I prefer guard rails very useful for attaching fenders
and spray dodgers but I see you have a few followers on your thread!

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I sail with a child (started aged 4 years). I do not have stanchions, or guard rails. I have life lines on the cabin roof. If yo can fall off the boat your set up is wrong.

Aurai

Visit site
Hello

I was advised that you judge guard wires against the need to crawl forward to attend to deck work with seas crashing over the deck. When they work to keep you aboard by jamming you against the wires in your prone position.

Mine are at a perfect height to trip me up when standing upright and spoil the look of 1964 vessel, but I might just go sailing in bad weather!!

Cheers

PhillM

Visit site
Hello

I was advised that you judge guard wires against the need to crawl forward to attend to deck work with seas crashing over the deck. When they work to keep you aboard by jamming you against the wires in your prone position.

Mine are at a perfect height to trip me up when standing upright and spoil the look of 1964 vessel, but I might just go sailing in bad weather!!

Cheers

So organise the boat so you don't need to. I'm not a fan of roller reeling, but it's easy to rig a down haul, so if you do get caught out, you can drop the jib from the cockpit.

jamie N

Visit site
So organise the boat so you don't need to. I'm not a fan of roller reeling, but it's easy to rig a down haul, so if you do get caught out, you can drop the jib from the cockpit.
I entirely agree with this as I'm removing our roller reefing, I will fit a downhaul to ensure this. Anyway, what sort of mad person goes out when they might either bruise, or even worse spill their wine? Beyond reckless if you ask me.......!

Poignard

Visit site

I would get rid of them but my lady crew objects and the boat is half hers. Thinks: Perhaps I could remove them on one side :D

I have 1-1/8" diameter mahogany rails along the coachroof, through bolted at short intervals. When I'm going forward in bad weather I hold on to them. The guardrails may as well not be there for all the use they are.