Greece more changes for non EU boats

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Since the start of June 1, 2022 it is now compulsory for the Transit Log (required by all non-European yachts) to be stamped in every Port visited with a port office. This makes cruising around the islands more onerous as authorities must be sought out in every port. Yacht insurance requirements have also changed and fines for not complying are high.

Details of the new laws are outlined below.

**TRANSIT LOG (All types) | NON EU YACHTS**

A Transit Document (Log) is issued at the first port of clearance by Customs (not the Port Police) and is valid for 18 months. This can be extended for up to 6 months if the boat is put in bond (either bonded in a marina or out of the water in a boatyard, vacated and inactive). It is now compulsory that the Transit Log is stamped in every port [Article 14 Paragraph 5 of Law 4926/2022].

The law states that the Port Police are obliged to investigate if the skipper/owner has visited the Port Master’s Office to stamp in/out both the Transit Log as well as the Crew/Passenger List.

If the Officer determines that this did not take place, then by law he is required to impose a standard fee penalty of €500, restrict the sailing of the yacht and inform Customs as this is also a Customs Procedure Violation.

**INSURANCE | ALL YACHTS**

It is compulsory to have yacht insurance coverage, proof of which must be presented on arrival in Greece.

Failure to show proof of insurance to the Port Master will result in a penalty of €150. In addition, the Port Master can restrict the sailing permit of the yacht till proof of insurance is provided.

For yachts less than 300 Gross tonnage, the lower minimum coverage limits per risk, that apply from June 1 2022, are as follows:
* Civil liability for death or personal injury of passengers and third parties: one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000) euros, per person and seven hundred thousand (700.000) euros, per incident and two million one hundred thousand (2,100,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period.
* Civil liability for material damages of passengers and third parties: one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros, per event and four hundred and fifty thousand (450,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period.
* Civil liability for sea water pollution: one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros, per event and four hundred and fifty thousand (450,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period.

The original insurance contract must be provided in Greek and English and the original insurance certificate must be carried.

The text of the new law is [available here](https://bit.ly/3muP1iR) (in Greek).

Yngmar

Visit site
Noteworthy that anchoring in front of the port doesn't constitute a visit and therefore avoids the obligation to stamp the transit log. That's what our ozzie friends have been doing.

The requirement for 3rd party insurance (which includes the above stuff) is pretty common in most places and usually is also required to get a marina berth. This is even checked at anchor during spot checks - the Guardia di Finanza in Italy checked us a few times and wanted to see boat papers, proof of insurance and passports. Same in Greece and Portugal

jonrarit

Visit site
We had our first experience of this this year. Some of the port police were great, some confirmed it was just a waste of time and some (namely preveza) were a nightmare to deal with.

I eventually got around the issue with the help of the very friendly port policeman at Gouvia corfu. When he asked where were going I said not sure and I rattled off a few ionian place names....he then stamped our transit log "All Ionian" and said we didnt need to update it with any other port authorites as long as we stayed within the Ionian :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We had our first experience of this this year. Some of the port police were great, some confirmed it was just a waste of time and some (namely preveza) were a nightmare to deal with.

I eventually got around the issue with the help of the very friendly port policeman at Gouvia corfu. When he asked where were going I said not sure and I rattled off a few ionian place names....he then stamped our transit log "All Ionian" and said we didnt need to update it with any other port authorites as long as we stayed within the Ionian :)
You can take that with a pinch of salt , the next one will,probably tell you something different and the next one after him different again .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
You can take that with a pinch of salt , the next one will,probably tell you something different and the next one after him different again .
Quite! The Greek law requires stamping in and out of EVERY port. This is just laziness, but there was one in Big Vathi who was a sticker....

However that contradicts free movement of EU goods and the UTL is a customs Procedure, which is not allowed under the UCC for EU GOODS.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've never found visiting the Port Police to get the transit log stamped a major inconvenience. Their office is usuall conveniently located to the port or marina and central. Inevitably you meet a few self-important Jack in Office types but I generally try to chill by reminding myself he will still be sitting in this office with a scowl on his face when I'm back onboard enjoying a cold beer or better still motoring along enjoying a cooling breeze - female officers are invariably much easier to deal with and much more pleasant.

Tranona

Visit site
What is the definition of a NON EU Yacht?
Flag state?
VAT paid?
Passport of owner?
From the Freedom of Circulation point of view, solely VAT status. However, customs officials, port police and even state legislators can have difficulty with this and conflate it with flag state, citizenship or residence of owner or all at the same time if it provides a basis for being awkward.

andrewAB

Visit site
I have boat on UK SSR in Ionion that has been there prior to Brexit with yard storage letter, receipts and ETEPIA. VAT was paid in Greece when it came out of charter many years ago and subsequent Bill of Sale to me soon after include VAT paid.

Can I get some sort of UTL or do I get a TL and loose VAT status?

Should reflag to Polish and become an EU boat?

Should I take Irish friend as co-owner and reflag Irish?

Or should I just carry on and enjoy sailing like last few year and never go to Port Police? (2023 plans have more friends/family visiting in Ionion and 2024 maybe around to Agean).

I have no idea which option is best as the the goalposts keep moving.

Suggestions welcome!

Many thanks and wishing a great Ney Year to everyone,
Andrew

Tranona

Visit site
From what you say, you cannot "lose" EU VAT status if you keep the boat in Greece (or anywhere in the EU. You have evidence it is EU VAT paid. The flag or registration and your ownership/residence is irrelevant.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
From the Freedom of Circulation point of view, solely VAT status. However, customs officials, port police and even state legislators can have difficulty with this and conflate it with flag state, citizenship or residence of owner or all at the same time if it provides a basis for being awkward.

From discussions I had with the Policia Maritima in Faro, when asking them to provide proof the boat was there on B day, although my wife is a citizen and 50% owner of the boat, they classify it as a third country vessel as it's UK registered. It is in free circulation being VAT paid but that doesn't make it an EU boat.

Tranona

Visit site
From discussions I had with the Policia Maritima in Faro, when asking them to provide proof the boat was there on B day, although my wife is a citizen and 50% owner of the boat, they classify it as a third country vessel as it's UK registered. It is in free circulation being VAT paid but that doesn't make it an EU boat.
I suspect "EU boat" is their own construct. No such thing exists! The only thing about boats that is specifically EU is freedom of circulation which requires evidence that VAT has been paid in the EU, or acquired through the terms of the Lisbon treaty in 1992 (and later accession treaties for new members) or the Withdrawal agreement of 2020.