Greece and another interesting point

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We are normally anchoring folks but this year we have used a few harbour or should I say fishing harbours in Greece , NOW this is the thing and new to me , if you are a private yacht you will get charge more for mooring then a charter or greek yacht , how much more ?
I not sure , but we been ask everwhere if we private or not . now to give you one example of the extra cost , we pulled into Livadhiou on Tilos and a very nice guy took our lines , power is five Euros and water is another five Euros for an hour ( that surprising , by the hour now ) ok no problem , then he goes on to tell us there also a mooring fee , ok find how much ! 12 mts , about 6 or 7 euros , fine can't be bothered to move . Five mins later he return
With his book , it now 11.50 , why? Because your a private boat from the EU and they have to pay more , and with out stopping he goes on to say , that till 12 tomorrow , we thank him very much for his help , left and anchored out side the harbour in the bay .

So now not only they want to tax us , also they want to charge us more for being a private boat , and water by the hour for the out rages cost of 5 euros , come on , Your over doing a bit now even for greek standards .

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We are normally anchoring folks but this year we have used a few harbour or should I say fishing harbours in Greece , NOW this is the thing and new to me , if you are a private yacht you will get charge more for mooring then a charter or greek yacht , how much more ?
I not sure , but we been ask everwhere if we private or not . now to give you one example of the extra cost , we pulled into Livadhiou on Tilos and a very nice guy took our lines , power is five Euros and water is another five Euros for an hour ( that surprising , by the hour now ) ok no problem , then he goes on to tell us there also a mooring fee , ok find how much ! 12 mts , about 6 or 7 euros , fine can't be bothered to move . Five mins later he return
With his book , it now 11.50 , why? Because your a private boat from the EU and they have to pay more , and with out stopping he goes on to say , that till 12 tomorrow , we thank him very much for his help , left and anchored out side the harbour in the bay .

So now not only they want to tax us , also they want to charge us more for being a private boat , and water by the hour for the out rages cost of 5 euros , come on , Your over doing a bit now even for greek standards .

What does charging for water "by the hour" actually mean? You take 15 minutes to fill up your tanks and that's it. OK, you might have to pay for the full hour but after that you can disconnect. :confused:

Richard

jordanbasset

Visit site
water is another five Euros for an hour ( that surprising , by the hour now ) and water by the hour for the out rages cost of 5 euros , come on , Your over doing a bit now even for greek standards .

Vic, there is money to be made there. Just wait for few other boats to turn up, book your hour of water and charge the other boats 3 euros to fill their tanks. They have a bargain and you have a few euros in your pocket - result:D

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, there is money to be made there. Just wait for few other boats to turn up, book your hour of water and charge the other boats 3 euros to fill their tanks. They have a bargain and you have a few euros in your pocket - result:D

Good idea Neil , why didn't I think of that , Richard it not that it going to take me more then an hour to fill 400 lts , it just the way he said it ! And being told the mooring fee was only till 12 to morrow , never ever been told I could have water for an hour .

Pmaytt . WHAT 4.50 more for a night berth which use to be free up to a year or so ago ,after all it just an small local village harbour not a commercial harbour or the Corinth canal .
Even the guy knew it was over the top ,he kept saying how sorry he was .

Last edited:

TRUNDLETRUC

Visit site
Private boats have been charged more for some time. I was told it was so that charter companies did not have to claim the VAT back? Perhaps someone will tell us for sure

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Private boats have been charged more for some time. I was told it was so that charter companies did not have to claim the VAT back? Perhaps someone will tell us for sure

Hi Trundletruc , your right private boat always did pay more ,I not sure of It as any thing to do with charter company not paying VAT , it the amount of different I found outragages

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
It has always been the case that charter boats have not paid harbour fees - they pay an annual fee as part of the charter licence. Makes sense as can you imagine the chaos if a flotilla had to pay individual fees each night. Remember charterers are a major source of income for the islands, so not surprising they get preferential treatment.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It has always been the case that charter boats have not paid harbour fees - they pay an annual fee as part of the charter licence. Makes sense as can you imagine the chaos if a flotilla had to pay individual fees each night. Remember charterers are a major source of income for the islands, so not surprising they get preferential treatment.
Yes I understand that and you are correct , but this is not harbour fee , but mooring fees which a different all together . Harbour fees ( port duty ) are just a few cents ok maybe a bit more now .
The only three charter boats that stayed all paid a mooring fee at a lower rate .

Or are you saying harbour Duty for private boats are 4.50 , ? Except the the last time I paid some some weeks back it was 90 cent .

Last edited:

Artic Warrior

Visit site
we uk flag uk boat were stern to on a town quay and there was greek charter boat chartered by germans next to us same size.
we both paid for our night stay at the port police, we paid 12 euroes they paid 2,50.....
Mmmmmm !!!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
we uk flag uk boat were stern to on a town quay and there was greek charter boat chartered by germans next to us same size.
we both paid for our night stay at the port police, we paid 12 euroes they paid 2,50.....
Mmmmmm !!!

we leard some new , I always knew there was a different and I supprose because we don't use harbour that much , I didn't know the different was that big. So it Back to anchoring which we love to do any way .
It looks like I not the only one who thighted fisted sailor around , we ended up being joined by four other yacht who entered the harbour and then left . Althought the small harbour did get full with charter boats in the end so I guess it was no lost that we left , of maybe it was as some have said charter don't pay much .
So nice to be on the hook again .

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
The marina we are in now told me the rate for 'private' yachts is twice that for 'charter' yachts. The only charter yachts here though are locals taking out day-trippers. It wasn't so last year. I suspect that 'charter' is code for 'Greek'.

Mind you, at €2.96 per day for us, it's not breaking the bank.

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
A few years ago I collected the mooring dues for part of the harbour here. There have been different rates for private and commercial boats for as long as I can remember. It isn't new.

Greek-flagged private yachts pay the same as any EU flagged private boat. I seem to think there was a higher rate for non-EU flagged boats as well.

The way the mooring dues are calculated is quite complicated and depends on whether you are stern-to, alongside, rafted up, etc. there's a port entry fee plus a nightly fee each per metre. When I did it I made myself a big spreadsheet but I suspect some of those who collect dues largely guess the amount ...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A few years ago I collected the mooring dues for part of the harbour here. There have been different rates for private and commercial boats for as long as I can remember. It isn't new.

Greek-flagged private yachts pay the same as any EU flagged private boat. I seem to think there was a higher rate for non-EU flagged boats as well.

The way the mooring dues are calculated is quite complicated and depends on whether you are stern-to, alongside, rafted up, etc. there's a port entry fee plus a nightly fee each per metre. When I did it I made myself a big spreadsheet but I suspect some of those who collect dues largely guess the amount ...

So is there just one set fee per mts , or do each small harbour have there own fee or has you said is it a matter where some people just make it up has they go along .

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
I think there are standard fees for each area or maybe each municipality but I'm not sure. It is a pretty complicated calculation though. You get to know what the most common price is for 1 night for different sizes but it wouldn't surprise me if people miscalculated or even guessed if they are busy.

The prices could all do with increasing in my opinion; they don't really cover the cost of paying people to collect the dues, let alone maintenance of piers and pontoons .... but I don't suppose my opinion would be a popular one :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
H
I think there are standard fees for each area or maybe each municipality but I'm not sure. It is a pretty complicated calculation though. You get to know what the most common price is for 1 night for different sizes but it wouldn't surprise me if people miscalculated or even guessed if they are busy.

The prices could all do with increasing in my opinion; they don't really cover the cost of paying people to collect the dues, let alone maintenance of piers and pontoons .... but I don't suppose my opinion would be a popular one :)

Thanks for that info Melody and Tony , melody , NO your opinion isn't going to be very popular , one harbour ( small fishing harbour ) asked us for 18 E before we decided to leave and on top he wanted 5 for water and 5 for power and he was asking the charter boat for 2 e per person for the use of a shower in an old run down room . No one seen to be taken him up on his offer , I wonder why , what was that film we us to see when we was all so young , oh yea , carry on camping , or in our case carry on anchoring .
The loser are the local business, their lost out on two motor bike hire , garage lost out on use buying Gas for the bikes , restaurant lost out as we would had went out for dinner ,the port lost out on port dues and the local supermarket lost out on us stocking up , so around 80 / 100 E lost out because of one greedy guy

Last edited: