Great start to the sailing season

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi Pete

Lovely sail.

Is the buoy at 3:47 completely submerged and was it your keel or the current that dragged it under? If it was your keel, how come it didn't snag on the prop or rudder when it came out from the stern?

Just interested!

Richard

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Hi Pete

Lovely sail.

Is the buoy at 3:47 completely submerged and was it your keel or the current that dragged it under? If it was your keel, how come it didn't snag on the prop or rudder when it came out from the stern?

Just interested!

Richard

I really got away with that one, the tide was holding it down. Boat is a twin keel with spade rudder so I was surprised not to have been hitched to it. I had already seen it and noted its presence but then filmed something else and by the time I looked for it again I was on it, I was far too complacent.

IanR

seascape2016.blogspot.com
Lovely Sail

Great video and beautifully shot. How do you get the out of hull shots, Spin pole and tape or something more clever?

Interested to see how much like N.Brittany one side of the island appears - got to visit one day.

Scillypete

Great video and beautifully shot. How do you get the out of hull shots, Spin pole and tape or something more clever?

Interested to see how much like N.Brittany one side of the island appears - got to visit one day.

Thanks for that. for the out of hull shots I use an Ultra clamp from these people http://www.fastfilms.co.uk/fixed-camera-mounts.php and attach it to the boathook. Its a very versatile camera mount and worth the money.

Lots of granite here so it is very similar to the Brittany coast, except the sun always shines here and the winds are always perfect ;)

georgeo

Visit site
I really got away with that one, the tide was holding it down. Boat is a twin keel with spade rudder so I was surprised not to have been hitched to it. I had already seen it and noted its presence but then filmed something else and by the time I looked for it again I was on it, I was far too complacent.

I have been hooked up, as you describe, in similar circumstances off Brehat. Same hull lay up, twin keels, with bulbs, and a spade rudder. Very strong tide. Grabbed the buoy and cleated it, then debated whether to cut the line, on the 'up side', as it were, hoping that with the buoy gone, the line would jjust snake down into the depths, but possibly losing all control of one end, or try cutting the line with knife on boat hook where it was disappearing into the depths. A lucky pirouette meant that all dropped free, and we were off again. But I still don't know which would have been the correct thing to do. I did raise this question on this forum a while ago, but did not feel further enlightened subsequently. Any thoughts?

Scillypete

I have been hooked up, as you describe, in similar circumstances off Brehat. Same hull lay up, twin keels, with bulbs, and a spade rudder. Very strong tide. Grabbed the buoy and cleated it, then debated whether to cut the line, on the 'up side', as it were, hoping that with the buoy gone, the line would jjust snake down into the depths, but possibly losing all control of one end, or try cutting the line with knife on boat hook where it was disappearing into the depths. A lucky pirouette meant that all dropped free, and we were off again. But I still don't know which would have been the correct thing to do. I did raise this question on this forum a while ago, but did not feel further enlightened subsequently. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the pirouette might be a reasonable technique to try. the way this one was set I think if I had got snagged it might have just pulled under the hull and clear, the top of the rudder is the vulnerable spot where there is a gap for ropes to get trapped and wedged as if in a cam cleat.

Reaching for the knife would be the last resort I think. Hauling the pots would always be an option (depending on depth) with a possible added bonus, unethical to take their catch though.