Grating for a shower

Talbot

Visit site
Making a grating for my shower out of sapele. What would be the best to coat the sapele. Suggestions so far have been

Epoxy
Danish Oil
Endeavour system
varnish
Rustins

Does anyone have a opinion (preferably one based on experience) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Casey

Visit site
A long time ago, when I went to sea regularly, our shower gratings were unvarnished. This meant that maintenance was very simple and I do not remember ever having to replace one. Every day they were scrubbed in the shower stall and weekly, hauled out on deck, turned upside down and scrubbed with a deck scrubber.

A varnish finish would make the grating slippery.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Sapele is not really the wood to use, being amahogany, but I would just leave it plain, scrub occasionally. Or use teak oil. I know its for teak!! but that doesnt matter, as its a petroleum product anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i agree that sapele is an odd choice, teak or one of the family would be more usual. unvarnished hardwood can generally be treated with teak oil. danish oil is used for salad bowls etc. don't suppose you want to eat off your shower floor!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Agreed. Ours has been left 'natural' and is perfect after over 20 years. As you say, it gets cleaned regularly, daily when we're full time cruising. I'm not sure Talbot, but I suspect that sapele will turn black if left, is that why you're thinking of treating it? If it must be done, I think I'd go for several coats of epoxy, as I don't think this would prove too slippery bearing in mind it is, after all, a grating.

Cheers Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Doh, had sapele on the brain as I had recently made a bookcase from it I meant Iroko of course! unless I can get the teak bits at a reasonable price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Ah, now we're cooking with gas.

when teak and similar woods are left outside they go grey and benefit from an occasional coat of teak oil. our shower grating is still brown after 4 years. the occasional scrub is a good idea, mainly to stop evil deposits of scum and hairs growing on the inderside. otherwise leave it be.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Teak grating kits are available, at not too expensive prices, for the life of me I cant remember who from, Ah! Howells of Poole (sp), maybe, possibly, I think!! But if you do use Iroko, then leave alone or teak oil. Scrub underneath! Iroko can be a swine to get a good sanded finish on, its really hairy! But good stuff, if you can find some afromosia, thats also good for the job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I have a large mahogany shower grateing in my head and hot water and having once read a PBO rubbish about oiling i tried that and it just got dirty messy disaster, i tried anothe pbo idea of scrubbing it,
For the last 16 years ive varnished mine with epiphanes ordianary boat varnish, i havent slipped once even at anchor in a rolly roadstead and it looks wonderful easy to clean.
I stripped it left it in the sun to dry fully then applied 10 coats proprly sanding with 240 between (240s enough) a coat a day, now every year i sand and add a coat just one and its perfect.

<hr width=100% size=1>liveaboard