GPS updates

charlumax

Visit site
Ive got a 2020 Garmin GPSMAP installed and see there is a bunch of free updates available from Garmin website (not maps but system soft/middleware). Looks like you can download via laptop to SD card, then card into GPS and install.

Garmin | United Kingdom | Marine Support

Has anyone done this successfully, and without any installation problems - really don’t want to mess up a perfectly working unit, but would like the updates if it actually works..

Alicatt

Visit site
Not with the GPSMAP but with the Echomap 95SV last week, downloaded a new map area to a blank SD card, and when inserted into the Echomap it updated the charts.

Using the Active Captain app linked from my iPhone to the Echomap it gets the system firmware version etc. and then logging out from the Echomap to let Active Captain log into the Garmin internet site, the phone downloaded the updates and then had to re-link to the Echomap which it then updated the plotter firmware, the downside was it deleted the simulator files from the plotter, but after the update you could download them again from Garmin and restore them to the Echomap.

The Active Captain app was easy to use and to update the Echomap only took a few minutes. It was a bit of a fiddle in that the phone had to be first connected to the WiFi of the Echomap and then disconnected and then connected to the house WiFi again to get the updates then disconnect again to re-connect to the Echomap to transfer the files, but it was not difficult and did not take that long either.

Moonbeam

Visit site
Yes. Updated the software on 500 series GPSMAP many times over many years without problem using the download to SD card method for legacy devices from this page Garmin: Legacy GPSMAP with SD Card Updates & Downloads

Like you, I was trepidatious about doing so for the first time. But as long as you follow the instructions on the website carefully and exactly, you should not have any problems. What's great about Garmin, is if you get the bundle software download, it will also effortlessly update the other Garmin devices on the N2K network.

If only Raymarine networked device updates were as easy! I miss my Garmin kit.

Reactions: vas

Moonbeam

Visit site
Obviously, the Garmin webpage I linked above might not be the appropriate page for your device. Check and see if your device is on that list.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ive got a 2020 Garmin GPSMAP installed and see there is a bunch of free updates available from Garmin website (not maps but system soft/middleware). Looks like you can download via laptop to SD card, then card into GPS and install.

Has anyone done this successfully, and without any installation problems - really don’t want to mess up a perfectly working unit, but would like the updates if it actually works..
Which model of plotter do you have ?

jfm

Visit site

I do this all the time with Garmin gear, since a decade ago. Indeed the first job after installing new hardware is to update the software. Works well, and definitely worth doing. Follow the intructions carefully of course because the Garmin file must be in the root directory of the SD card

I’ve done it with 8412 many times and it works well.

charlumax

Visit site
All done yesterday, no problems at all, install, restart, job done..

One q though - the unit had two micro cards installed. I removed both, installed my update card, did the upgrade then replaced both as I found it. All appears well. But why is there 2 cards, I would have thought there would only be 1 with the maps on ?

jfm

Visit site
Glad the software update went well. Worth doing at least once/year.

Normally you would have just one for maps/charts, as you say. But you could have 2 chart cards, to cover a wider area. Or one card might be blank, for writing user data to (like screenshots or lists of waypoints). Can't know without more info. If the cards have maps on, this should be clear from what is printed on the card label.

Alicatt

Visit site
Well I updated the software in my Echomap 95SV last week and then the Benelux & Germany West charts using the Active Captain, now I have big grey triangles over the area. The Echomap came with UK Ireland and NL charts installed and when I added the Benelux & Germany West areas it downloaded the charts to the device and it was all working fine until the update, On the Echomap it said 26/9/2024 was the expiry date and I could use the charts without a memory card inserted.
I contacted Garmin about it and they advised me to use Garmin Express to update the chart which I did today, downloaded the chart to a 32GB SD card and transferred that into the Echomap which then said it was updating the charts and now gives me an expiry date of 28/2/25 and I still have the grey triangles. The grey triangles are all within the chart boundaries, the grey triangles stretch from the French border up through Germany.

From the last update:
sVMWt2I.jpg

From today:
IMG_8850SM.jpg
IMG_8851SM.jpg

Moonbeam

Visit site
That's not good. I'd telephone Garmin again. I always found them to be excellent in resolving issues. Although I admit it's been a few years since I needed to call them, so things may have gone down hill.

Alicatt

Visit site
That's not good. I'd telephone Garmin again. I always found them to be excellent in resolving issues. Although I admit it's been a few years since I needed to call them, so things may have gone down hill.
I have been chatting with them by email, they are sending me out a SD card with a software update and the charts on it to replace what is on the plotter.
Coincidently the guy I have been chatting with is in the Garmin office in the UK, but he is from Belgium, and I am from the UK and in Belgium :)

Moonbeam

Visit site
I have been chatting with them by email, they are sending me out a SD card with a software update and the charts on it to replace what is on the plotter.
Coincidently the guy I have been chatting with is in the Garmin office in the UK, but he is from Belgium, and I am from the UK and in Belgium :)
Excellent. Great to hear Garmin are still 'customer focused'