GPS showing wrong date

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Wrestling with disparity in tidal information, I discovered the chart thinks it's 2003. I did not expect to be able to change thus. As I thought, the date is sourced from GPS which shows the correct time and current poisition but the wrong date.

Is it the Russians?:censored:

Any ideas please? All my nav kit is Raymarine.

Dukester52

Visit site
Have you tried turning it off and on again? Updating the firmware? I seem to recall there was an issue where some chartplotters may have reverted to an older date.

TSB240

Visit site
Wrestling with disparity in tidal information, I discovered the chart thinks it's 2003. I did not expect to be able to change thus. As I thought, the date is sourced from GPS which shows the correct time and current poisition but the wrong date.

Don't think it us a Russian time warp.

Is it your raystar antenna as I have the same issue?
Seems it is fairly common. I haven't got round to replacing mine with a new nmea output mushroom. I replaced the battery so I at least get a rapid and accurate fix but I am still fixed in 2003!

Bizarre raymarine E120 issue

PeterBoater

Visit site
You may have been affected by the 'GPS rollover' in 2019. Here's a post from Raymarine which may be helpful: 2019 GPS Week Rollover
Dukester52 has nailed it. I've just had the same fault. You will probably have to replace the GPS antenna/receiver with the latest model and/or the plotter (MFD). Note that the problem will affect various pieces of kit up to 2035. If you have Navtex connected up to the GPS, all new messages will be rejected as apparently being twenty years in the future. I don't know this for sure but there could be a possibility that DSC Mayday messages etc sent by you will be rejected at the other end as being twenty years old.

coopec

N/A
Visit site

I just did a GOOGLE :ROFLMAO: Here is a link to one of those useless YouTube videos :LOL:

Have you seen it?

nigel1

Visit site
The Raystar 125 GPS receivers suffered the GPS rollover back in March 2023.
Graham, does your MFD have an internal GPS, if it does, should be able to use that.

I have just replaced my Raystar 125 with a Digital Yacht TriNav GPS, connected to an e125 MFD via a multiplexer using NMEA 0183.

TSB240

Visit site
I just did a GOOGLE :ROFLMAO: Here is a link to one of those useless YouTube videos :LOL:

Have you seen it?

If he is using the raystar mushroom the Video is a waste of time.
Trust me you have no way of changing the year without replacing the GPS mushroom with one with a new chip.

DipperToo

Visit site
Definitely the raystar gps.
If you have an AIS transponder, many of of hem allow you to set them to output the gps data along with the AIS data stream.
If you have a raymarine chartplotter, you MUST disable (remove power or the whole connection) from the Raystar gps as otherwise the raymarine seatalk bus takes priority if the plotter detects gps data on the seatalk bus.
I have a camino GPS (same as the McMurdo) and using a PC USB connection there is a configuration program you can download to change the settings.
Raymarine did give me a warning that this is not an 'approved' workaround as the gps signal may propagate on a circular fashion but I have not found that to be the case. I also set the GPS data refresh time to 2 seconds on the AIS gps output.
My plotter now has the correct date as does my Navtex and passage log unit.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
That only describes setting the date format. I can do that on my plotter. However, it is an E80 and it nothing like that in the video.
Definitely the raystar gps.
If you have an AIS transponder, many of of hem allow you to set them to output the gps data along with the AIS data stream.
If you have a raymarine chartplotter, you MUST disable (remove power or the whole connection) from the Raystar gps as otherwise the raymarine seatalk bus takes priority if the plotter detects gps data on the seatalk bus.
I have a camino GPS (same as the McMurdo) and using a PC USB connection there is a configuration program you can download to change the settings.
Raymarine did give me a warning that this is not an 'approved' workaround as the gps signal may propagate on a circular fashion but I have not found that to be the case. I also set the GPS data refresh time to 2 seconds on the AIS gps output.
My plotter now has the correct date as does my Navtex and passage log unit.
Is it safe to assume that the Seatalk output from the Raystar contains the same incorrect date information as the NMEA one?
Is it the case that the date is interpreted from the GPS signal rather than GPS transmitting the date in clear?
I was sent on a course at the start of the GPS introduction hopefully to return with a complete understanding. In those days there were two levels, precision and whatever the other one was called.
I confess, the company's investment in my attendance was a complete waste of time!

st599

Visit site

The week number is being stored as a 10bit integer. You've gone over the maximum value of 1023 and it's wrapped around back to 0.

May be fixed by a software update if one's available. GPS week number rollover - Wikipedia

PeterBoater

Visit site
My furuno gp31 gives the wrong date and has done since the first roll over 10? years ago. Position is still accurate along with time. Still use it for giving data to my dsc radio.
Position and time correctly sent to your DSC radio but what about the date?

Does anybody know whether the date is included in a DSC message? If it is, could a twenty-year old date mean that the message is rejected at the receiving end?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It might feel like they just want you to buy new kit but this happens because the chip can't be flashed. There are aircraft flying around with out of date variation chips in their extremely expensive ring laser gyros because the chips can't be flashed and can't be replaced because they aren't produced anymore. It's the way of the modern electronic world.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
It might feel like they just want you to buy new kit but this happens because the chip can't be flashed. There are aircraft flying around with out of date variation chips in their extremely expensive ring laser gyros because the chips can't be flashed and can't be replaced because they aren't produced anymore. It's the way of the modern electronic world.
Based on his past performance, I am sure Angus could devise a widget to accept the MMEA GPS stream and modify it to add a programmable base date. I’ll give him a nudge.