GPS Chart Plotter suggestions

Refueler

Visit site
I’m not sure it’s such good value compared to name brand units. Garmin Echomap 95 is £830. That’s a bigger (touch) screen, loaded with uk charts, has sonar (transducer required, same as Onwa) and leaves you £500 to buy AIS transponder.

Like everything in life ... there are ranges of gear and capabilities. The all singing dancing Onwa is out of my range to fit on my boat - but I can see others would go for it. Touch Screen ????? I have enough trouble with a smartphone on a boat when hands wet and cold ... I'm happy enough with buttons.
Its same with my Multi Protocol RC Radio ... I can update the FW and then have my full colour screen Touch enabled .. but TBH - I find Touch Screen over-rated. Even on my Tablets - I have keypad I can connect either via USB dongle or USB cable ...

Touch screen is ok when weathers fine and dandy ... That's MY honest opinion.

But back to what pricing etc. - when you drop down to more budget levels ... then the costings become more apparent. I bought the KP-39A with free full charting (I can download other areas to complete World Wide coverage as and if needed still free) .. AIS B+ Transceiver .... even after paying Customs etc. - I still saw change in pocket compared to any other brand except Matsutec.

fredrussell

Visit site
…But back to what pricing etc. - when you drop down to more budget levels ... then the costings become more apparent. I bought the KP-39A with free full charting (I can download other areas to complete World Wide coverage as and if needed still free) .. AIS B+ Transceiver .... even after paying Customs etc. - I still saw change in pocket compared to any other brand except Matsutec.
No argument from me on that one, the KP units are brilliant value - I very nearly bought one. If you buy direct from AliExpress etc it’s a hundred quid cheaper than Aves (or was when I was looking) but to be fair you then realistically have little or no cover should unit go wrong.
It looks to me like Onwa are now selling a budget line and a premium line. The former is about half the price of its competitors, the latter, to my eye, is about the same. What, I imagine, might discourage some potential buyers is the lack of a dealer network in this country (and/or others?). That may well change with the launch of their new range.

Refueler

Visit site
No argument from me on that one, the KP units are brilliant value - I very nearly bought one. If you buy direct from AliExpress etc it’s a hundred quid cheaper than Aves (or was when I was looking) but to be fair you then realistically have little or no cover should unit go wrong.
It looks to me like Onwa are now selling a budget line and a premium line. The former is about half the price of its competitors, the latter, to my eye, is about the same. What, I imagine, might discourage some potential buyers is the lack of a dealer network in this country (and/or others?). That may well change with the launch of their new range.

I'm old school and very happy with Alan at Aves ... even though I don't live in UK. He's always ready to answer any question - to help in every way he can. He doesn't just sell and leave it ... so maybe you pay a little more - but I value service.

Having experienced Chandlers for gear - there are some that are just box pushers and don't give a monkeys for the customer ... usually just employing people who know next to nothing about the items they sell. Of course there are other Chandlers that do know their items and do give reasonable service. But they will refer you to Manufacturer when they are out of depth.

tillergirl

Visit site
Buy 2 minimum and duty and VAT from alibaba! If you buy it in the UK, the dual frequency tansducer is inclusive. And Alan (again) ain't Scottish!

tillergirl

Visit site
Nope. I am just trying to point out that you cannot compare an offer from alibaba to a retail price. The company using Alibaba are the manufacturers who are trying to sell to wholesalers not retailers. Since the company has appointed a sole UK distributor I would be surprised if you could buy one via Alibaba. I could, of course, be wrong.

fredrussell

Visit site
…Having experienced Chandlers for gear - there are some that are just box pushers and don't give a monkeys for the customer ... usually just employing people who know next to nothing about the items they sell. Of course there are other Chandlers that do know their items and do give reasonable service. But they will refer you to Manufacturer when they are out of depth.
My local chandlers (Fox’s, Ipswich) are excellent. Knowledgeable about their products and happy to price match. More than happy to use them.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yeah you can get imprisoned by a brand, raymarine are especially prone to expensive proprietary plugs on things.
It'd rather do that and be able to talk to the brand when things don't work as they can't get into the blame game and not fix it.

Being a cynical Scot, I only ever buy kit in sales and refuse to use Raymarine as I am not impressed with their offering.

In my professional life I've seen people 'cobble together' all sorts of stuff, great until it goes wrong and there is a loss in production that cost WAY more than had they just spent a bit more to start with.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Look at what the boat builders or charter companies fit. It's either one of the NAVICO brands, B&G being the most popular or Raymarine. They don't fit the other brands championed by a few on this and other threads. There is good reason for that.

If you're sentimental like me then B&G is still headquartered in the UK even though it's part of the NAVICO brand.

No point talking about function because they all do the same thing and virtually all have an inbuilt GPS. So the only differentiators are Price, Form and Brandname. That's all subjective and personal. What Brand phone, watch, car do you have?

oldgit

Visit site
Does it have to be new ?
Loads of "not that old" previous generation kit out there , some of it easier to use by us Technophobes , to whom 90% of the techonology may as well not be installed , as it will never be used and merely adds confusion then panic, followed by yet another factory reset. ?

Marceline

Visit site
cheers everyone for the comments and suggestions - lots to investigate/think about and glad of your input for this crucial bit of kit we're looking to install (y)

Fantasie 19

Visit site

Looks a bit loose to me - I recommend at least four more bolts, and five more screws.. :ROFLMAO:

I jest, apologies...

This was my fold out solution if the OP is interested... smallest TV fold out I could find..

20220410_133634.jpg