GPS and laptop

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else tried to get free charts to run on a pc or laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and it's a nightmare, unless you want the free US charts. You can do it legally by buying digi charts, and the appropriate unlock codes. Or there are other ways.....Apparently /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I use GPSNavX on a Mac labtop. Macenc from the same companie is now the Mac standard.
It is very flexible and accept digital and scanned charts. The quality of service is great (US way of life) and it is not expensive !
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Chrusty1

I have a question, probably because I am ignorant of such things........

To the best of my knowledge, which as I said is pretty limited, nobody make a waterproof, or even damp proof lap top computer? So given that a salt laiden atmosphere is likely to reduce your computer circuit boards to a crumbling ruin? Why not use a chart plotter that is at least designed to work in a salt laiden atmosphere, and even under water at a push?

C

Chrusty1

[ QUOTE ]
If you Google 'Panasonic Toughbook' you'll get a pretty robust laptop.

P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ok, I did that, and this is what I found.....

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Panasonic_Laptops/cat.asp

Somebody is having a laugh aren't they? How many on this forum would be chucking that kind of money on a laptop computer? That kind of money would buy you two or three very good chart plotters, and loads of digi charts!

I thought that "The Jester" was all about sailors with small boats and a small budget? or is it a case of the well heeled getting in on the act?

I really hope not.

helixkimara

Visit site
Rule 134.7b No inverted snobbery.
Rule 134.7c To help with rule 134.7b, No any one item being more expensive that the yacht.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

C

Chrusty1

Aaaaaw! I do like a bit of inverted snobbery, lets me have my own back on the snobby buggers that have upset me in the past.

Oh yes, one other thing, Jester=No Rules, except the 30 footer, and that is not set in stone /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mind you, I would like to see a cap put on boat values, say 5k?? That would keep the well heeled and the snobbers out of it! I think it should be a proper cloth cap event, anybody that even sounds a bit posh............Gerroutofit! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dat vood feex dem by yimminy!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
My Mac G4 standard crossed the Atlantic twice on a Figaro (a more than wet environment). It was protected by a plastic film in the chart table.
The only issue was a failure of the touch "9" so I changed the key pad.
It still works !
Offshore you don't use navigation means a lot : you are in the middle of nowere ! One real fix once a day is sufficient.
Eric
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Chrusty1

That's true enough Eric, I was just really puzzled why use a computer, and have all the hassle of loading the thing with what you need when it seems that for far less money you can buy a chart plotter??

Just seems a bit daft to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

C

Chrusty1

yep, ok, cheap enough, but I still don't understand the attraction, I ask again, why buy that, and then have to mess about loading it with what you require, when a chart plotter is, it seems to me so much easier? Maybe it's because I don't understand how you use a lap top for navigation, but I do understand how to use a chart plotter. It just seems to me to be extra hassle.

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I have a laptop, the GPS button cost well buttons, the laptop can do other things save photos or videos listen to music, watch films, type books, keep logs, email if you get the conections wifi in harbour to say I got there ....... and more.
You need the paper charts anyway (I don't trust electrics to work all the time).

Graham

C

Chrusty1

"(I don't trust electrics to work all the time). " Huh you and me both!

I guess I am just not computer minded /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I want music I play the radio or a CD, I prefer a paper logbook, I definately don't want to bothered with emails when aboard, (or phone calls come to that). I reckon that I must just be an old Dinosaur.........well boring old fart with anti-social tendencies maybe! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.......Seriously....What is a Wifi??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

To be honest, I can just about manage the basics on this desk top. I did try a lap top once, but I really had trouble with the keyboard, didn't like it at all.

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
I agree with Eric - There is no need for electronic navigation in offshore sailing. Nice for GRIBS though.

I also used GPSNavX with raster charts for the French coast on a Mac G4 - Every day I made a comparison of where I was going digitally, with the paper charts I had, and carried on along the coast quite successfully. Any hint that the laptop would get wet, I locked her up in a plastic bag in a dry place.

I recently purchased an Asus eeePC, with a 7" screen. It draws about 1.8amps, and is completely solid state (no moving parts). I bought it cheap on ebay ($140) because it was missing the battery, and wired it directly into my 12v boat system. I run windows XP with a world chart package, plugged into a Magellan GPS with USB out. I also use it for email with a USB to RS232 converter into an old Iridium 9050 sat phone with datakit... Works like a charm, and can be stowed terribly easily if it needs to be due to possible water damage - And, ultimately it was cheap enough that if I did break it, it wouldn't be the end of the world..

nick.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
I had no other electronic charts than the USA one's.
If you don't have Email you don't need a labtop.

Offshore I didn't use any chart... I just used the worldatlas that was provided for free with the GPSNAVX. The interresting thing is to download gribfiles (wind files) with the Iridium or equivalent and to overgrid the any chart with the boat position with the wind grid.
Otherwise I only used the labtop as a chart plotter on the last journey day while passing in fog inside the Nantucket Island and Marthars winage island. I had the other GPS in //.
I used a paper chart , (and the labtop) dayly to put a fix, just in case...
The labtop was in the chart table, under a plastic cover most of the time.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I have downloaded seaclear it looks allot better then the link I was given. I'll spend some time playing with it.

As most of the posts have said for sailing across to Azores I do not need a plotter. I agree, but before the trip I have to gain experience and the use of a plotter would be useful as a back up to the paper chart.

Graham

Graham