GPS and laptop

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
I used a laptop for receiving weatherfaxes. The inverter caused a lot of problems with my battery and was a major factor in me retiring.

Next time I'm gonna use navtex (which I didn't have) and a barometer (which I do have).

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
[ QUOTE ]
I used a laptop for receiving weatherfaxes. The inverter caused a lot of problems with my battery and was a major factor in me retiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did your inverter cause problems with your battery? And how come a lack of batteries caused you to retire? Just curious.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
Bit complicated but the inverter somehow drained the batteries but wasn't showing on my batttery amp counter so I was happily thinking I had 80-90% battery but in reality I was below 10v so everything stoppped working, like nav lights most importantly, but also AIS and seame, even the battery moniter went on the blink itself which was confusing matters further.

The battery seemed unable to recover and hold a decent charge and after a second night without nav lights unless engine run and with my beffudled brain (3 days without any sleep) I was unable to work out what was causing problem. I was running engine at night to keep a charge to run the lights and other instruments and paranoidly keeping a lookout during the day, which wasn't sustainable for the crossing due to lack of fuel.

The one thing I hadn't tested was the laptop and inverter because the weatherfax wasn't able to recieve until it's a good way offshore and I was blind-sided by how long the laptop has to be left on to recieve say 72 hours of prognosis, especially if you miss one it was being left on for many hours every day. Not possible after a few days because the battery wouldn't hold charge. I was also suprised at how hot the laptop was, it seemed like I was running a small heater from my pretty modest 12v battery setup.

I supppose in a nutshell; I had a plan for a Jester challenge and when things moved so far beyond what I had planned i.e. no gizmos, engine being run to make lights work at night, no weatherfax and with a serious lack of sleep then retirement looks a good option, especially for a first attempt. I really envied the guys who had actually planned to do the trip without even electric lights in some cases because if it'part of the plan, or the back up plan then it's do-able.

That said, there are bound to be obstacles in the way of completing a Jester which must be overcome and I regret retiring.

C

Chrusty1

The KISS principal rules!........OK? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jesterchallenger

Visit site
On my first trip to the Azores in 1985, green as grass, the engine went phut shortly after leaving and batteries died soon after that. I had to sail into Ponta Delgada and pick up a mooring under sail after navigating there with the sextant, trailing log and a wristwatch. I didn't have radar, AIS, radar reflector, navtex, etc etc, but ignorance is bliss and I guess I didn't worry because of that. Many years later, much wiser, more experienced and more affluent, I now have a full complement of electronic toys including Satphone and laptop (not aboard for the JAC08), and have two solar panels and a towed generator when they don't provide enough charge. I didn't run my engine to charge batteries en route to Terceira at all. In fact total fuel consumption for 2008 was 4.5 gallons! I never sail anywhere without sextant, trailing log and quartz watch, just in case. When asked how much it costs to go cruising, Bernard Moitessier replied 'As much as you have'. The toys aboard the boat increase at the same rate as the budget. No budget, few toys; big budget, lots of toys. If you don't have the gadgets aboard, they can't go wrong and so you don't worry about what you'll do if they do go wrong. Less toys, less worry. I believe Blondie Hasler chucked his barometer overboard so he didn't have to worry until the weather actually arrived. Trouble is, all these gadgets and toys are so seductive..........

C

Chrusty1

"Trouble is, all these gadgets and toys are so seductive.........."

Not to me they're not.......

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
Aye. The only addition to my boat for the jester was Seame (which is amazing), a liferaft and an inverter/laptop setup for weatherfax. The rest of the boat was "as is" from the previous 5 years as I regularly cross the Irish sea singlehanded so am pretty well set up how I like to be. I thought she was bullet-proof. I have no phones, radar, chartplotter, no gas, no roller furling, stackpacks or lazyjacks and minimal electric interior lighting.

With hindsight all I needed to have done was to not have bothered with the laptop and inverter as many others did. I was gutted when I finally worked out that was the case. I threw the inverter into the bin at Milford haven and gave the laptop to my friend. I MAY get a simple Navtex unit installed for next time. But no laptop.

Noddy

Visit site
Before you read this post please understand that there is no implied criticism of Dom Mee. I post this because it illustrates the role of psychology and technology under extreme pressure.

The thing to notice is how he sees the electrical faliures as disasters. Catastrophizing is something we all do when we are anxious, but the loss of GPS or any other gizmo is not, in itself, life threatening. Those losses do, however, add significantly to his ongoing anxiety levels, undermining his ability to survive.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c8c_1215729611

He is also under stress from extended solitude and environmental conditions, and I bet those waves were bigger than they look in the film. You will be glad to hear that he was rescued and survived.

In my own storm experience each little electrical faliure made me more anxious. It wasn't until I was offered rescue that I realised that, without the electrickery, just me and the boat, I would make it.

So to reiterate - the point of this post is to highlight the anxiety that the faliure of precious gadgets can have on someone who is relying heavily on them. Not to make judgements about the actions of others under extreme pressure.

Paul

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
Good post, thanks.

The two main reasons that a gadget may fail to work.

1. The gadget or it's circuit is faulty.
2. The entire electrics have failed.

The former may be overcome, although it's true that it can cause increased anxiety which can become unbearable at sea alone, and as it's normally the man that breaks not the yacht the decreasing of anxiety is a supreme consideration. This cannot be overstated.

The latter will almost certainly include the loss of navigation lights and without an oil burning backup the decision as to a course of action becomes less discretionary I'd say.

On the subject of oil burning nav lights, I truly never thought of them as more than a curiosity before I left, but would consider them essential now. There was much pre-start talk about the prudent number of back-up, handheld GPS's and such to have, but at least one boat (Bill) and probably more made it without electrics at all IIRC.

helixkimara

Visit site
Some vidio clip Paul.

Was a bit like the state of me in Plymouth Sound.

Joking aside, If all the budding Jesters watch it I fear a "ripple in the force" and sales of polystyrene going through the roof.

Noddy

Visit site
Yes Malcolm, it made me sit up and take notice. It does have a ring of familiariity about it.

It has gone a bit quiet? I hope it doesn't put too many off.

Dealing with fear and anxiety is part of the challenge. We need to use his example to understand how our mental resources can be challenged. That is the spirit in which I posted the video.

Take heart everyone - He survived and his boat made it to Ireland!

Paul

Noddy

Visit site
Found this Pome - don't know who wrote it.

I must go down to the sea again, in a modern high-tech boat,
And all I ask is electric, for comfort while afloat,
And alternators, and solar panels, and generators going,
and deep cycle batteries with many amperes flowing.
I must go down to the sea again, to the autopilot’s ways,
And all I ask is a GPS, and a radar, and displays,
And a cell phone, and a weatherfax, and a shortwave radio,
And compact disks, computer games and TV videos.
I must go down to the sea again, with a freezer full of steaks,
And all I ask is a microwave, and a blender for milkshakes,
And a watermaker, air-conditioner, hot water in the sink,
And e-mail and a VHF to see what my buddies think.
I must go down to the sea again, with power-furling sails,
And chart displays of all the seas, and a bullhorn for loud hails,
And motors pulling anchor chains, and push-button sheets,
And programs which take full charge of tacking during beats.
I must go down to the sea again, and not leave friends behind,
And so they never get seasick we’ll use the web online,
And all I ask is an Internet with satellites over me,
And beaming all the data up, my friends sail virtually.
I must go down to the sea again, record the humpback whales,
Compute until I decipher their language and their tales,
And learn to sing in harmony, converse beneath the waves,
And befriend the gentle giants as my synthesizer plays.
I must go down to the sea again, with RAM in gigabytes,
and teraflops of processing for hobbies that I like,
And software suiting all my wants, seated at my console
And pushing on the buttons which give me complete control.
I must go down to the sea again, my concept seems quite sound,
But when I simulate this boat, some problems I have found.
The cost is astronomical, repairs will never stop,
Instead of going sailing, I’ll be shackled to the dock.
I must go down to the sea again, how can I get away?
Must I be locked in low-tech boats until my dying day?
Is there no cure for my complaint, no technologic fix?
Oh, I fear electric fever is a habit I can’t kick.